Discover Dogsledding | Sisimiut
Experience traveling through Greenland in an authentic way - seated on a sled that is pulled by a pack of Greenlandic sled dogs.
Dog sledding is an important part of Greenlandic culture. The Inuit used this as their primary mode of transportation during the winter, and even now, there are still about 1000 working dogs in Sisimiut. They are owned by full-time mushers who combine hunting and fishing with tourism, and others who keep dog sledding as a hobby. They are all playing a big part in conserving the traditional dog sledding culture, and one of them will be your driver for this unique experience.
You will be seated behind the musher on the sled for a first-hand view of how man and dog work together to travel through the arctic wilderness. There is no noise from any engine, just the sounds the sled over the snow and ice, and the panting and running paws of the dogs.
The 2-hour journey will take you to the foot of the Niujarfik mountain before climbing up to higher terrain to the northeast of Sisimiut for amazing views. Before heading back to town, you will have plenty of time to take photos as your musher takes care of the sled dogs.
Reserve your place on this dog sledding adventure by selecting your date of travel and clicking on Book Now.
- Transportation in mini-coach
- Experienced musher
What to bring
- Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Insulated winter boots
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
Please arrive 30 minutes before departure.
- You will need to sign a waiver.
- This tour is weather dependent and may need to be altered due to weather.
- This tour is not recommended to anyone with back problems.
- Each sled can take up to two people.
- You must also listen to the instructions from your musher and follow the rules about getting too close to the dogs and sled.
- If your booking does not meet the minimum number of passengers required for the tour to run, we may need to move your chosen departure time to match you up with the next possible tour. In this case, we will contact you by email to verify that the change is OK.
Terms of service
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the "Terms & Conditions".
1 625 DKK
5-Days Above The Arctic Circle | Sisimiut | West GreenlandFrom 9 461 DKK
Assaqutaq Trail Transfer | SisimiutFrom 650 DKK
Best of winter in Greenland | 5 Days in Sisimiut, West GreenlandFrom 6 211 DKK
Day TourGroup Pricing
Cod Fishing & Snow Crabs | SisimiutFrom 3 500 DKK