Northern Lights Photo Tour | Nuuk
Do you want to learn how to take high-quality photographs of the Northern Lights? Join this tour with a professional photographer to discover the secrets to successful night time photography and capture your Aurora Borealis experience with stunning imagery.
The evening begins in an office near the centre of Nuuk where your guide will introduce you to the basics of night photography. They will also explain everything you need to know in order to capture the best possible photos of the Northern Lights so that you are fully equipped to make the most of your time outside.
From there you will head out to the darkest and most scenic locations around Nuuk to put it all into practice. Your guide will be on hand to assist, answer questions and ensure you capture the aurorae in all their glory, and a warm car will be available if you need to warm up after a period of time outside.
With all Northern Lights experiences, you have to remember that the lights are unpredictable and may not appear - despite what forecasts may say. However, if you are unlucky, we can switch our focus to long exposure night photography of the city, or you can join the tour on a different night for free.
Pack your camera, tripod, extra batteries and warm clothing and choose your preferred date above to reserve your space now!
- A professional photographer as guide
- Introduction to night photography & capturing the Northern Lights
- Transportation by heated car
- Visit of the best spots to take pictures of Northern lights
What to bring
- Extra batteries (if you have them)
- Lots of space on your memory card
- Remote release (if you have one)
- Headlamp or flashlight
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- A warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Water bottle or thermos with hot drinks
- If it is cloudy or the Northern Lights are not putting on a display, we can switch our focus to long exposure night photography of the city, or we will do our best to re-schedule. If that is not possible, we will refund the full amount.
- For clothing, we recommend dressing in several layers, with windproof clothing making up the outermost part.
- We usually take small groups of up to 4 people. However, we can easily arrange a bus if more seats are required.
Terms of service
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the "Terms & Conditions".