Northern Lights Photography | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Bring the most amazing pictures home from your winter trip to Greenland. Learn how to capture the beauty of the northern lights and bright stars over the snow-covered landscape.
While in Ilulissat you should take advantage of this tour under the clear skies full of stars and watch the Aurora Borealis dance above you. At Hotel Hvide Falk in Ilulissat town, you will meet your photography guide, who will explain about taking pictures of the northern lights and the arctic night sky.
You will learn about the camera settings over a cup of coffee or tea. Now you are ready to venture out to hike in the white landscape and feel the snow crunch under your feet, while you on snowshoes manoeuvre your way with the help of your flashlight and a professional guide.
You will be heading just outside of Ilulissat town, away from the city lights, where the darkness lets you enjoy the dancing colours of green and pink in the arctic night sky. On the tour, we will walk along the icefjord mixing northern lights with the view of huge icebergs. This hike is for everyone who wants to experience the Aurora Borealis whilst in Greenland and bring the memories back home, combined with snowshoeing over the snow-covered terrain.
With views of icebergs scattered across the Ilulissat Icefjord and absolute silence, you will get to enjoy the show of colours in the company of your fellow photographers in the safe hands of your guide and professional photographer. A great way to end a day of new experiences and excitement.
Come join this hike through the Arctic landscape in the search of Northern Lights! Bring your camera and plenty of memory on the SD card. Select your preferred date and click Book Now to reserve your place.
Please note, that there is no guarantee for northern lights.You can find Northern lights trips in Greenland here!
UNESCO World Heritage Site
• Warm beverages
• Professional Photographer
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Water bottle
- Camera, tripod & extra battery
Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- No previous experience is needed for this trip as you will be accompanied by a guide that will help you through the whole process. On this trip, you will be joined by a professional photographer, experienced in photographing the arctic night.
- Please inform in advance if you have diabetes, cardio problems or other medical conditions that could affect you during the tour.
- All tours in Greenland are weather dependent. In the case of bad weather, the tour will be cancelled, and you will get full payment refund.
- This tour has a minimum requirement of 2 participants. If your booking does not meet the minimum number of participants required for the tour to run, we may need to move your chosen departure time to match you up with the next possible tour. In this case, we will contact you by email to verify that the change is OK.
- Each participant has to sign a Waiver of Liability before going on the tour. The terms and conditions of this tour can be found in the tour operator description e.g. cancellation policy.
- Please note, that there is no guarantee for northern lights.
- The usage of snowshoes and ski poles is weather dependant. Sometimes the firmness of the snow makes the snowshoes an inconvenience, in which case we won't wear them.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.