Sailing to Karale & Knud Rasmussen Glacier | Tasiilaq | East Greenland
Join this 8-hour tour to explore two massive glaciers and an abandoned American military base. We’ll venture into the astonishing Arctic landscape, sailing among icebergs of incredible shapes and sizes, getting as close as we can to the Karale and Knud Rasmussen Glacier.
The tour starts with a visit to the old military base in the Ikateq area, Bluie East Two. Bluie East two, is a former airbase from the 2nd World War. The US military used this airfield to refuel their planes and as a medical station for the wounded. Today, the base is an open-air museum - you will be roaming around the abandoned facilities, fuel drums and vehicles.
After a short tour around the wreckage, we will head on to Sermiligaaq Fjord. An enchanting area of jagged mountains and two glaciers colliding. Sermiliqaaq means “The Beautiful Glacier Fjord” and certainly lives up to its name.
The two glaciers Karale Glacier and Knud Rasmussen are both impressive and massive giants. A place where you with almost certainty will see one or both glaciers calve, an unimaginable sight, with sounds of thunder as the ice calves and hit the ocean.
Depending on the conditions of the ice, we will go ashore nearby the Knud Rasmussen Glacier and enjoy lunch.
If there is time for, it will be possible to hike around the area, before heading back to Tasiilaq.To overlook the impressive glacier-walls of both the Karale and Knud Rasmussen glacier, select your date of travel and click Book Now.
Knud Rasmussen Glacier
- Experienced guide
- Warm beverages and refreshments
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Day Pack
- Camera with extra batteries
- Water bottle
- Please note, that the minimum requirement for this tour is 4 persons. If the minimum requirement is not attained, you will be rebooked. If not possible, the tour will be cancelled and you will be refunded.
1 600 DKK
5 Day Greenland Highlights Tour | East GreenlandFrom 13 000 DKK
Boat tour among icebergs | Tasiilaq | East GreenlandFrom 800 DKK
Boat Transfer between Kulusuk and Tasiilaq | East GreenlandFrom
City tour and hike to the flower valley | Tasiilaq | East GreenlandFrom 620 DKK