The Sled Dog Experience | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Come along and experience a symphony of 20 howling sled dogs! If you are visiting Ilulissat you must experience the Greenlandic sled dogs. On this tour, we invite you to feast with a pack of Greenlandic sled dogs.
When the Inuits first arrived here in Greenland 4000 to 5000 years ago, they brought the sled dogs with them. Since the sled dogs have been a crucial element for survival in the Arctic, as no modern snowmobile can compete with the tireless work of a sled dog. Today the sled dogs are used by the traditional hunters for traveling to remote areas for long-line fishing, hunting, and transportation.
Your excursion starts in Kussangajaannguaq 7, where you and your fellow explorers will be introduced to your guide of the day. From here you venture out of town, where you will be greeted by a local dog husk. The husk will demonstrate how you operate the sled and the harness and how to use the whip. The owner will tell you about how it is to be practicing dog sledding in an ever more modern and globalized world.
Afterward, a pack of 20 howling and hungry dogs awaits to be fed, so after you and your fellow explorers have learned everything there is to learn about dog sledding and hunting, you can be lucky and help the husk feeding the dogs. This is an extraordinary experience, that you only will get to experience here in Greenland. You will be able to see, feel and hear the many howling dogs!
In the spring you will be able to see sled dog puppies, they are true heartbreakers. There is a special bond between the owner and the dogs, that allows them to work together on long journeys in the wilderness. The dogs are very loyal to their owner but might seem aggressive to strangers. Please keep your distance from the dogs, when arriving at the dog kennel. The owner will show you which dogs are safe to pet.
If you would like to experience the symphony of howling sled dogs, select your preferred date and click Book Now.
- Transportation to and from the sled dogs
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Wear practical clothes, as it can get dirty
- When arriving, please keep your distance from the dogs. They are working dogs and you should wait for the owner to show you which ones are safe to pet.
2 Day Hiking and Kayaking Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 4 950 DKK
2 Hours of Dogsledding | IlulissatFrom 1 495 DKK
Vacation PackageIncluding flights from Iceland
3 days Ilulissat Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 21 500 DKK
Vacation PackageBook now
5 Day Ilulissat Explorer | Disko BayFrom 25 000 DKK