Whales & Ice | Private tour | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Experience the best of both worlds on this tour combining whale watching with sailing between the huge icebergs in the amazing Ilulissat Icefjord, which since 2004 has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Sailing with Ilulissat Water Taxi is a nice and easy way to get to some of the top attractions close to Ilulissat city. You book the trip and Water Taxi will pick you up on one of two spots at the harbor - just like a Yellow Cab.
In the summer the beautiful humpback whales travel the big oceans from Haiti and Puerto Rico heading straight to the Disko Bay. They come here to feed on the huge amounts of small fish and krill, they find in the fresh Greenlandic sea. The humpback whales are huge, beautiful mammals that you can see swim peacefully between the waves without making a sound. These giants can be up to 15 meters long and weight 30 tons.
On this tour there are biggest chances for spotting the humpback whales with their iconic tail waving as they dive into the sea. You might also be lucky to see Bowhead whales sometimes.
One thing that however is sure is that you will see the beautiful icebergs, that the area is known for and named after, as Ilulissat in Greenlandic means iceberg.
Reserve your private tour for up to 6 people by selecting your preferred date and clicking Book Now.
UNESCO World Heritage Site
- 3 hours sailing
- Local captain
- Coffee and tea
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Snacks / food
- Optional: Binoculars for spotting whales
- The price is for chartering the whole boat and includes 1-6 people. Please select the correct number of people in the booking process (the price won't change). It is important for the captain to know how many people will be joining. For more than 10 people, please contact us.
- It is possible to bring your own food, but save yourself the trouble and order a sandwich or a lunch plate in the booking process
- There may be changes in the timing of the trip due to weather. The decision lies with the captain. If the trip is cancelled, there will be a full refund.
5 450 DKK
2 Day Hiking and Kayaking Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 4 950 DKK
2 Hours of Dogsledding | IlulissatFrom 1 495 DKK
Vacation PackageIncluding flights from Iceland
3 days Ilulissat Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 21 500 DKK
Vacation PackageBook now
5 Day Ilulissat Explorer | Disko BayFrom 25 000 DKK