Winter in Ittoqqortoormiit | 4 Days | East Greenland
Far away, north-east in the vast country of Greenland, lies Ittoqqortoormiit.
A village of colorful houses on the coast, surrounded by mountains - and in wintertime a lot of snow.
The trip starts in Iceland, from where you fly far to the north, first on an airplane and then change to helicopter, to reach the village.
This trip to Ittoqqortoormiit village will give you an unique opportunity to observe and learn of the life in a typical Inuit village.
Here dogsledding still is an important means of transportation and hunting is still important to the existence.
The small community has around 450 people.
There is a choice of different activities which you can take part in during your stay in Ittoqqortoormiit.
You will also have time to relax and enjoy the tranquility of life in the Arctic.
Do no hesitate to venture out on this new adventure!
Click "Choose a date" above to see availability and book your trip.
You take the morning flight from Reykjavik to Akureyri where passengers for Greenland need to change to a smaller aircraft (Twin Otter or King Air B200) to continue to Greenland. After arrival in Constable Point (Nerlerit Inaat) there is another exciting trip awaiting you: a 15-minute helicopter flight to Ittoqqortoormiit village. This is a beautiful flight, where you get to see the landscape from above. Closing in you will start to see the colorful houses appearing. Upon arrival in the village a representative from the guesthouse will meet you and take you to your accommodation.
Ittoqqortoormiit is a little village and you can easily walk around and explore the streets yourself. Walk in the snow between the houses and enjoy the view of the different colors. You might see the sled dogs relax between the houses of they are not out on a journey - just remember to keep your distance from them, when the owner is not around.
During your stay you can have a look at the museum, the church, handicrafts workshop or just observe the daily life on your stroll through the village.
If the nights are clear there is a great chance of catching a glimpse of the fascinating northern lights dancing in the sky. Because of the little light there is in the village you will most likely also experience a night sky filled with crystal clear stars, shining in a way, that you have never experience before. If you are used to big-city life it is also incredible just to take some time and let the ears relax and enjoy the silence of this remote place.
There is also a possibility of various activities of your own choice. The next days will mention some of your options.
In wintertime there are different options for activities in Ittoqqortoormiit and the landscape surrounding the village. You have the unique possibility to join on an dogsledding adventure out of the village. You can either go by dogsled to Kap Hope, Kap Tobin, to the ice-edge, where the local hunters stay during seal hunt, or even on a two-days dogsled tour. The two days tour goes to Kap Hoegh and the area of Liverpool Land. For this option you would have to leave on day 2 and return on day 3. Traveling by dogsled is a fascinating experience. Before departure the dogs will be howling with excitement, jumping up and down, but as soon as the brake is up you will experience the silence and just hear the sound of many stamping paws on the snow.
If dogsledding is not appealing to you and you prefer to travel on your own feet cross-country skiing is another much enjoyed winter activity. One option is taking the trip across the frozen fjord to Kap Tobin - a trip of 7km each way. A third option, for those liking the sound of an engine, is exploring the area on a snowmobile excursion, a fast way to travel across the snow filled landscape.
These activities are optional and not included in the price of the trip.
Today it is time to get ready for departure. You will again venture out on the short helicopter ride to Nerlerit Inaat airport. You can enjoy a last view of the beautiful landscapes, fascinating views of mountains and the glaciers of Liverpool Land and the Hurry fjord. Then you will board the flight back to Iceland and another night's stay in Reykjavik (remember that this accommodation is not included).
• Flights Reykjavík - Akureyri - Constable Point (CNP) and back.
• Helicopter flight CNP-Ittoqqortoormiit-CNP
• Airport taxes
• Accommodation in Ittoqqortoormiit, in double/twin room, shared facilities, self-catering
• Accommodation in Iceland the night before and the night after the trip is not included in the package.
What to bring
|• Gloves and warm caps, comfortable, waterproof shoes.
• Slippers or thick socks: Greenlanders take off their shoes entering a private house and even many guesthouses.
• Camera equipment: Greenland is a photographer’s paradise and you should ensure to have enough memory cards with you.
• Moisture Transferring Clothes
• Adjustable Insulating Clothes
• Winter Apparel
• Warm Jacket
• Skiing Trousers
• Waterproof & Warm Boots
- It is possible to arrange dog sledge transfer from/to Constable Point instead of a helicopter - ask for a price! For optional tours and purchases, it is best to have DKK (Danish Kroners). Cash withdrawal with credit cards is available at the local post office. Polar Bears are not strangers to this part of the world. When you decide to go off on your own, please let someone know about your programme, and at all times carry signal flares when walking alone. They can be purchased at the KNI store in Ittoqqortoormiit. The price per person is based on double/twin room with shared facilities. You will need to arrive in Iceland the day before your flight to Greenland and stay overnight in Reykjavik also after the tour. Accommodation for these two nights is not included in the package. Most airlines allow 20kg of luggage weight. So it is good to know what you really will need for your journey. But, of course, this depends on what you are planning to do and when. A general list of what to bring is described above. A 3-layer structure is adequate for this tour, whereby each has its own specialized purpose: a moisture transfer base layer next to your skin, then one or more adjustable insulating layers, and finally an outer shell to protect you from rain and wind. NOTICE: Terms and conditions for this tour, can be found in the supplier description.
Terms of service
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the "Terms & Conditions".
Multi-day TourFully Booked
Arctic Wildlife Safari | 8 Days | Ittoqqortoormiit | East GreenlandFrom
Vacation PackageFlights from Iceland included!
Winter in Ittoqqortoormiit | 8 Days | East GreenlandFrom 18 200 DKK
Multi-day TourWith professional photographer
Arctic Photography Expedition to Scoresby Sound | East GreenlandFrom 60 000 DKK
Multi-day TourIncluding flights from Iceland
Winter in Ittoqqortoormiit | 4 Days | East GreenlandFrom