2 Day Hiking and Kayaking Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Join this authentic trip to Oqaatsut settlement with plenty of exciting activities to do on this trip.
This journey is for everyone who seeks a unique adventure through the arctic summer landscape. With our guide, you will get to hike in Disko bay area investigate the arctic flora and admire the rivers and rocky plains. All to kayaking among humongous icebergs, so close you can almost touch them and if it is not enough you could also get lucky and spot seals or whales on your kayaking trip!
The journey starts with a hike from Ilulissat to Oqaatsut, where we will get to see plains of arctic floras, sky-high mountains and rocky terrain. A peaceful hike through the wonderful landscape leaves every explorer breathless, surrounded by astonishing views in every direction.
Meet the friendly locals and watch the daily activity of hunters going out and coming back from a fishing trip or a hunt. Take your time to study the houses and imagine living in a place surrounded by breathtaking nature and the harsh living conditions in winter time.
Around the settlement you will see Greenlandic dogs situated outside houses and some with puppies. Most of them will come to you as they are curious small dogs and love a belly rub. Take your time to look at the many drying racks of fish and maybe polar bear skin.
Surrounded by stunning nature you should take the advantage of exploring the arctic tundra. Come along this adventurous journey to the charming settlement of Oqaatsut and enjoy a 2-day trip of cultural activities and other activities. See the availability by pressing on ‘Book Now’ and book your tour today.
Kayaking & SUP
Arriving to Oqaatsut
Meeting up with your guide for this trip at Hotel Hvide Falk and together we will walk out of Ilulissat. Immediately after leaving town you will be met by a stunning landscape of green plains, arctic floras and tall mountains. Looking out towards the water, you will see huge icebergs and if you are lucky, you might even see humpback whales between the waves.
After a few hours you will arrive at Oqaatsut, a settlement of about 30 inhabitants, you will be taken to your accommodation. We invite you to walk through the charming village and greet the friendly locals.
Kayaking & Return to Ilulissat
Today you will meet your guide down by the coastline. Here you will get a briefing on how to handle a kayak. Then its time to head out on the water and maneuver your way through the water surface. When you begin to feel efficient you will be able to sail among icebergs and enjoy the peacefulness surrounding you. As the sun shines on your face and perfectly reflects across the water surface.
In the evening it is time to head back to Ilulissat. Return by boat through ice packed passages.
- Guide during all 2 days
- Guided Hike from Ilulissat to Oqqatsut (Approx. 20km)
- Lunch box & hot beverage for the hike
- Accommodation in Oqaatsut
- Guided 4-5 hours kayaking tour (25km) in Oqaatsut
- Kayak & gear; Drysuit, thermal suit, life jacket, boots & gloves
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Greenlandic specialities
- Boat transfer from Oqaatsut to Ilulissat
- USB with pictures
What to bring
- First upper layer (thermal shirt, wool or synthetic)
- First lower layer (hiking pants)
- Thick socks (wool is ideal)
- Second upper layer (fleece)
- Third layer jacket (Primaloft or down)
- Water proof jacket (in case of rain)
- Warm gloves or mittens
- Sunglasses and sun protection
- Backpack with any additional items you need to walk around the settlement and spend the day there
- Prescription medication and other personal health items
- Bottle of water and Day pack
- Money to buy snacks, refreshments or other items in the local shop (not mandatory)
- Minimum participants of 4 on departure day. If less than 4 people the tour will be cancelled and you will get the full payment refunded.
- Please inform in advance if you have diabetes, asthma or cardio problems. Please inform us if you have any medical condition that could affect you during the activity.
- No previous experience is needed for this trip as you will be accompanied by a guide that will help you through the whole process.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.