2 Hours of Dogsledding | Ilulissat
Get the ultimate Arctic experience with this two-hour dogsled tour, departing from Ilulissat! Explore the snow-covered wilderness surrounding Ilulissat, while sitting on the Greenlandic dogsled.
Your tour begins by the dogsled tracks, just outside of town, where you will be met by a local Iluliarmiut (a person from Ilulissat) musher. Before embarking on this exciting adventure, the musher will introduce you to his dogs. The Greenlandic sled dog is one of a kind, it is the purest dog race, due to is isolation from other dog races – which makes it quite unique. The dogs are raised as work dogs, and therefore it is not safe to approach the dogs on your own. The musher will show which dogs, that are safe to pet.
Once you have gotten comfortable on the sled, the musher will steer the dogs into the backcountry of Ilulissat. You will be surrounded by endless miles of frozen Arctic tundra, wildlife and other travelling dogsleds. Enjoy the pure silence, only disturbed by howling dogs and soaring eagles!
Your tours route depends on the snow and sea-ice conditions. If it is safe to venture out on the sea ice, the musher will help the dogs towards the ocean and upon the ice – if not, you will be continuing your journey further into the wild winter wonderland of Greenland.
Ready to experience the authentic mode of winter transportation in Greenland? Select your preferred date and click Book Now to reserve your place on the sled.
- Authentic 2 hours dogsledding trip
- Experience local musher
- No Transfer
- No Coffee & Tea
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Insulated winter boots
- A warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
The maximum of people on the sledges or 2 pax
- The departure time for this tour is flexible. However, if your booking does not meet the minimum number of passengers required for the tour to run, we may need to move your chosen departure time to match you up with the next possible tour. In this case, we will contact you by email to verify that the change is OK
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
1 495 DKK