Whale Safari | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Experience the graceful magic of the giants of the deep on this 3hr whale watching excursion from Ilulissat.
During Summer, Disko Bay is a mecca for whale watching. Humpback whales, minke whales and fin whales frequent its nutrient-rich waters to feast on large groups of krill and small fish. While they are found throughout the Disko Bay region, Ilulissat is a perfect place to seek them out - especially with the backdrop of the Ilulissat Icefjord and its enormous icebergs.
We will set sail from Ilulissat harbour and head to where whales have recently been sighted. We are in constant communication with the local fishermen and hunters, so have an excellent chance of seeing multiple whales during the excursion. We may even be lucky and see a Humpback jumping!
During the tour, we will help you identify the different types of whales we see, talk a little about their characteristics, and explain why this particular region is such an important place for them.
While the tour takes place in a closed boat, we encourage you to dress very warmly so you can spend as much time as possible out on the decks. That is where you will have the best views. However, if you do get cold, come inside where we will have hot tea/coffee waiting for you.
Reserve your place on this peaceful excursion to get closer to the ocean’s gentle giants by selecting your date of travel and clicking on Book Now.
- English speaking Guide
- Transfer from the meeting point to and from the harbor
- Tea & coffee
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Optional: binoculars for spotting whales
- The exact route taken will depend on where whales were last spotted. This may not be near the Ilulissat Icefjord. We will travel in a fast boat to give us the greatest range for discovery.
- Bring warm clothes (even if the weather is nice) so that you can spend time outside. It is often colder on the water and any breeze will make it chilly. Its always a good idea to bring a windproof jacket, no matter the conditions.
- This tour requires a minimum of 8 people. If this is not achieved, the tour will be canceled and your money refunded.
- Please note that the time of departure might change. Typical departure times are 09:00, 10:00, 13:00, and 16:30
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
1 295 DKK
There are no reviews yet.