Whale Safari | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Experience the graceful magic of the giants of the deep on this 3hr whale watching excursion from Ilulissat.
During Summer, Disko Bay is a mecca for whale watching. Humpback whales, minke whales and fin whales frequent its nutrient-rich waters to feast on large groups of krill and small fish. While they are found throughout the Disko Bay region, Ilulissat is a perfect place to seek them out - especially with the backdrop of the Ilulissat Icefjord and its enormous icebergs.
We will set sail from Ilulissat harbour and head to where whales have recently been sighted. We are in constant communication with the local fishermen and hunters, so have an excellent chance of seeing multiple whales during the excursion. We may even be lucky and see a Humpback jumping!
During the tour, we will help you identify the different types of whales we see, talk a little about their characteristics, and explain why this particular region is such an important place for them.
While the tour takes place in a closed boat, we encourage you to dress very warmly so you can spend as much time as possible out on the decks. That is where you will have the best views. However, if you do get cold, come inside where we will have hot tea/coffee waiting for you.
Reserve your place on this peaceful excursion to get closer to the ocean’s gentle giants by selecting your date of travel and clicking on Book Now.
- English speaking Guide
- Transfer to and from the harbour
- Tea & coffee
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Optional: binoculars for spotting whales
- The exact route taken will depend on where whales were last spotted. This may not be near the Ilulissat Icefjord. We will travel in a fast boat to give us the greatest range for discovery.
- Bring warm clothes (even if the weather is nice) so that you can spend time outside. It is often colder on the water and any breeze will make it chilly. Its always a good idea to bring a windproof jacket, no matter the conditions.
- This tour requires a minimum of 8 people. If this is not achieved, the tour will be canceled and your money refunded.
1 295 DKK
2 Day Hiking and Kayaking Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 4 950 DKK
2 Hours of Dogsledding | IlulissatFrom 1 495 DKK
Vacation PackageIncluding flights from Iceland
3 days Ilulissat Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 21 500 DKK
Vacation PackageBook now
5 Day Ilulissat Explorer | Disko BayFrom 25 000 DKK