Dogsled tour | Ilulissat | Disko bay
Experience the ancient Inuit tradition of dog sledding on a 2-hour journey to the backcountry near Ilulissat.
Sled dogs have been used for thousands of years by Greenlanders as the primary mode of transportation during Winter. Many hunters still utilize these tough working dogs as they are able to reach places that a snowmobile cannot, and to nurture the special bond that has been formed over centuries of working together.
Your experience begins with a transfer out to an area of “dog town”, where you will be greeted by a symphony of howling dogs and your musher (dogsled driver). Your guide (or musher) will give you a safety briefing and show you how to sit on the sledge correctly before you head off on your dogsled adventure.
During the tour, the icebergs and spectacular landscape around Ilulissat will provide you with endless photo opportunities, and there will be plenty of time to stop and stretch your legs with a hot drink. The snow conditions and the sledge tracks will determine the exact route for the tour, but no matter where you go, the experience of sledding behind a pack of dogs will be an unforgettable experience.
Ready to experience the authentic mode of winter transportation in Greenland? Select your preferred date and click Book Now to reserve your place.
Please remember that Greenlandic sled dogs are working animals. You should keep your distance when arriving at “dog town” until the musher shows you which dogs are safe to pet.
- Transfer to/from departure point to the dogsled track
- Safety briefing
- 2 hours on the sled
- Coffee & tea
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Sunglasses and sun screen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- The dogsled driver might not be able to speak English or Danish. If this is the case, the safety briefing will be given by the guide before you head off. During the tour, the musher will communicate with gestures and perhaps a few words. It's amazing how much can be communicated this way!
- If you book the tour for two people, you will be placed on the same sled. If you book for one person, you will be placed on a sled with another guest.
- It is possible (and highly recommended) to rent arctic outwear, such as jackets, thermo trousers and winter boots
1 395 DKK
2 Day Hiking and Kayaking Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 4 950 DKK
2 Hours of Dogsledding | IlulissatFrom 1 495 DKK
Vacation PackageIncluding flights from Iceland
3 days Ilulissat Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 21 500 DKK
Vacation PackageBook now
5 Day Ilulissat Explorer | Disko BayFrom 25 600 DKK