Searching for Humpback Whales among Icebergs | Ilulissat
Go searching for one of the most beautiful creatures in the world amongst giant icebergs near Ilulissat!
This tour will take you on a small boat with a cabin in case it gets a little chilly, out looking for whales amongst the many icebergs in all shapes and sizes.
The most common one is the Humpback which is also one of the most interesting sightings as they are often in Ilulissat with their young and love to show their unique tail flukes as they dive.We might also spot the second largest species of whales in the world, the Fin whale, however, it’s a shy creature and rarely shows its tail, but the sheer size of it as it comes up for a breath is an incredible sight in itself.
The small size of the boat allows us to get fairly close without disturbing the whales too much, in fact we might get close enough so that we can hear their breath.
The humpback whales are especially photogenic with their black skin contrasting against the blue and white icebergs, and if the conditions are right their breath will show up as golden columns of water vapor in the sun.
We cannot stress how wonderful it is just to go sailing in the bay amongst icebergs and the whales just elevate the experience, so stop hesitating and book your tour today!
- 4 hours sailing trip searching for whales
- Experience captain
- Coffee & Tea
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
Although we often see them on these tours we cannot guarantee a sighting. We have flexible departures but we need a minimum of 2 passengers to carry out the tour if you're a solo traveler we might have to move your departure in order to reach this minimum requirement.
1 050 DKK
2 Day Hiking and Kayaking Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 4 950 DKK
2 Hours of Dogsledding | IlulissatFrom 1 495 DKK
Vacation PackageIncluding flights from Iceland
3 days Ilulissat Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 21 500 DKK
Vacation PackageBook now
5 Day Ilulissat Explorer | Disko BayFrom 25 000 DKK