Hike & Cultural Immersion | 2 Days | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Join this authentic multiday tour to Oqaatsut settlement, with plenty of exciting activities and adventures! This trip is for anyone who seeks a unique adventure in the Arctic summer landscape.
With this tour, you will get to hike the surrounding landscape of Oqaatsut, while investigating the arctic flora and fauna and admire the rivers and rocky plains. The journey starts with a hike from Ilulissat to Oqaatsut, where we will get to see large tundra valleys, arctic flora, sky-high mountains and rocky terrain.
A peaceful hike through the wonderful landscape leaves every explorer breathless, as there are astonishing views in every direction. Meet the friendly locals and watch the daily activity of hunters going out and coming back from a fishing trip or a hunt. Take your time to study the houses and imagine living in a place surrounded by breathtaking nature and the harsh living conditions in wintertime.
Around the settlement, you will see Greenlandic sleddogs situated outside houses and some with puppies. Most of them will come to you as they are curious small dogs and love a belly rub.
Take your time to look at the many drying racks of fish and maybe polar bearskin. Surrounded by stunning nature you should take advantage of exploring the arctic tundra.
Come along this adventurous journey to the settlement of Oqaatsut and enjoy a 2-day trip of culture and nature. Click on the Itinerary tab to read more information about each day of the tour, and then reserve your place by clicking on Book Now.
Meet up with your guide will take place at Hotel Hvide Falk and together we will walk out of Ilulissat. Immediately after leaving town you will be met by a stunning landscape of green plains, arctic floras and tall mountains. Looking out towards the sea, you will see huge icebergs and if you are lucky, you might even see humpback whales between the waves.
After hours of hiking, you will arrive at Oqaatsut, a settlement of about 30 inhabitants. Upon arrival, you will be taken to your accommodation. We invite you to walk through the settlement with us and greet the friendly locals.
Today you will get an authentic experience, as you will be joining a local doing his/her daily chores. Learn how to catch fish, dry fish for storage or depending on the season, help to make a traditional dish. The guide will join you, for translations and as a helping hand.
Then its time to head back to Ilulissat with a boat transfer, taking you through ice-packed passages and stunning views over the water surface.
- Experience Guide
- Guided Hike from Ilulissat to Oqqatsut (Approx. 20km)
- Lunch pack on the hike
- Dinner & lunch
- Accommodation 1 night in Oqaatsut & breakfast
- Activity with the locals (day 2)
- Boat transfer back to Ilulissat
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Day Pack
- Camera with extra batteries
- Water bottle
- Backpack with any additional items you need to walk around the settlement and spend the day there
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- Minimum participants of 4 on departure day. If less than 4 people the tour will be cancelled and you will get the full payment refunded.
- Please inform in advance if you have diabetes, asthma or cardio problems.
- Please inform us if you have any medical condition that could affect you during the activity.
- No previous experience is needed for this trip as you will be accompanied by a guide that will help you through the whole process.
Terms of service
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the "Terms & Conditions".
4 150 DKK
2 Day Hiking and Kayaking Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 4 950 DKK
Vacation PackageIncluding flights from Iceland
3 days Ilulissat Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 21 500 DKK
Vacation PackageBook now
5 Day Ilulissat Explorer | Disko BayFrom 25 600 DKK
A Taste Of Greenland | Settlement Adventure in Oqaatsut | IlulissatFrom 1 595 DKK