Hike to Oqaatsut settlement | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Discover the incredible beauty of Disko Bay by joining this hike from Ilulissat to Oqaatsut. Wind your way through the tundra lands of Disko Bay, discover the incredible coastal scenery and explore the settlement of Oqaatsut. There is no better way to explore Greenlandic nature than by hiking.
On this tour, you will be taken care of from beginning to end, starting with pickup from Hotel Hvide Falk. We will start our adventure with a hike to Oqaatsut, 21 kilometers to be exact. In the company of an educated guide, you set out on an approximately 5-hour hike towards the settlement of Oqaatsut. At this point, you have escaped all signs of civilization, allowing you to immerse yourself in Greenlandic nature.
You will be following an old trail, that was once used for the transport of mail from town to village. While hiking, you are sure to enjoy jaw-dropping sceneries of icebergs, tundra, lakes, rivers and tiny wooden huts. A beautiful trek into the wild.
We will take a little break and enjoy lunch in nature. After this, we will continue our hike and we will reach Oqaatsut. The terrain of the hike is not too complicated, there will be some ups and down but the hardest part is that it is 21km long. Imagine we arrive in Oqaatsut and we will be greeted by 3-course dinner served at the famous H8 Restaurant! The dinner will be from local ingredients.
Oqaatsut is a small fishing community, consisting of approximately 30 inhabitants and packs of sled dogs. In addition to its cultural heritage, Oqaatsut is also known for its spectacular beauty. The village of colorful wooden houses is scattered across a rocky peninsula, overlooking the iceberg-rich waters of Disko Bay. After dinner, the boat will take us back to Ilulissat. This will take 30-45 minutes.
From there, the tour takes you 45 minutes by boat north of Ilulissat for drop-off on the northeastern shores of Disko Bay.
Tie your hiking boots and bring Click on the Itinerary tab to read more information about each day of the tour, and then reserve your place by clicking on Book Now.
- Transfer from Hotel Hvide Falk to start the hike
- Fully guided 21 km hike
- Lunch pack
- 3-course dinner at H8 Restaurant in Oqaatsut
- Boat transfer from Oqaatsut to Ilulissat
Please note: departure time will be at 11:00 in the morning
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Day Pack
- Camera with extra batteries
- Water bottle
- Backpack with any additional items you need to walk around the settlement and spend the day there
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- Extra clothes
- Minimum participants of 3 on departure day. If less than 4 people the tour will be cancelled and you will get the full payment refunded.
- Please inform in advance if you have diabetes, asthma or cardio problems.
- Please inform us if you have any medical condition that could affect you during the activity.
- Please inform us about your food allergies.
- No previous experience is needed for this trip as you will be accompanied by a guide that will help you through the whole process.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
1 695 DKK