Kayaking the Ilulissat Icefjord | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Gain a waterline perspective of the enormous size of the icebergs in the World Heritage Listed Ilulissat Icefjord on this unforgettable kayaking tour. No prior experience necessary.
Perspective is everything in judging how big something is. And the best way to get a feel for just how big Greenland’s icebergs are is by looking up at them from the waterline. Even better to do so using the traditional method of transportation of the Inuit - the kayak.
After donning drysuits, and some kayaking and safety instructions from our fully accredited kayak guide, we will paddle along the coastline of Ilulissat towards the Icefjord. We will stay together and maintain a safe distance from the towers of ice to explore this floating labyrinthine landscape. Remember, chunks of ice can break off unexpectedly, and safety is always first.
There will be plenty of time to take a break from the paddles, take photos, and simply sit back and enjoy the views during our minimum of 2 hours on the water. We may even be lucky and have some whales visit us!
Reserve your place on this spectacular exploration of the Icefjord by selecting your date of travel and clicking on Book Now.
Kayaking & SUP
- Internationally accredited kayak Instructor
- All kayaking equipment, including drysuit and other outer wear
- Safety and kayaking instructions before the tour
- A minimum of 2 hours on the water
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Camera. Make sure it is contained in a waterproof case. Electronics do not like water, especially salt water!
- Water bottle
- Minimum height requirement = 150cm
- No previous kayaking experience is necessary
- All kayaks are double kayaks, which are very stable in the water. It is not possible to request a single kayak. If you are traveling alone, you will be paired up with another person.
- If you suffer from serious back or shoulder pain, you should not book this tour.
- Please note that the departure time might change. Typical departure times are 10:00, 14:00, and 20:00.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
1 350 DKK
There are no reviews yet.