Oqaatsut Settlement | Private Tour | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Get the ultimate experience of a small settlement in Greenland. The settlement in Disko Bay holds around 40 inhabitants and is also known as Rodebay. Rodebay is situated approximately 15 kilometers from Ilulissat and is only accessible by boat in the summer and in winter, by dogsled and snowmobile. The settlement is located on a small peninsula at the foot of a large mountain and was baptized Rodebay by dutch whalers, Rodebay means "Red Bay" and "The resting Place". The village has been inhabited since the 1700s and was given settlement status in 1877.
This tour is an exciting journey to get a better understanding of the Greenlandic living conditions and how resilient the locals are, with limited internet access, electricity, and only one store. Nonetheless, does the 40 locals thrive in their small community and very friendly and welcoming from outside visitors.Reserve your private tour for up to 6 people by selecting your preferred date and clicking Book Now.
- VIP boat charter (for maximum 6 people)
- Trip in a heated cabin boat
- 3 hours trip to Oqaatsut Settlement
- Experienced local captain
- Coffee and tea
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Optional: Binoculars for spotting whales
- The price is for chartering the whole boat and includes 1-6 people. Please select the correct number of people in the booking process (the price won't change). It is important for the captain to know how many people will be joining.
- It is possible to bring your own food, but save yourself the trouble and order a sandwich or a lunch plate in the booking process
- There may be changes in the timing of the trip due to weather. The decision lies with the captain. If the trip is cancelled, there will be a full refund.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
5 750 DKK