Spend a night in a real Igloo | Ilulissat
Jump on the back of a snowmobile and drive with us deep into the wild winter landscapes behind Ilulissat! We’ll venture out to a place far from light pollution, giving us the best chances to experience northern lights surrounded by snow-covered mountains and the occasional dogsled running by.
The igloos are made of snow which has great insulating properties, combined with a great sleeping bag and fur as the mat, you’ll stay nice and toasty even if it’s -30 degrees outside.
Just next to the igloos we have a wooden cabin where we’ll enjoy our meals and the occasional cup of hot coffee.
We start with snowmobiles from Ilulissat and drive for about an hour to get to the igloos, there will be a few chances to stop and really enjoy the view over the city and the Disko bay.
We’ll have lunch in the cabin at 1 pm and then go for a snowshoe tour at 2 pm to a great viewpoint over the UNESCO ice fjord, or you can choose to book a snowmobile tour down to the frozen fjord of Sikuiuitsoq. A frozen bay often filled with icebergs.
When we get back to the cabin around 4 we’ll sit down for some coffee and cakes after which you can go spend some time exploring the area on your own.
We’ll serve dinner at 7 pm and enjoy each other's company, after which we’ll try and see if we can spot any northern lights if we get lucky we might see a wonderful display of green and purple colors lighting up the night sky.
Breakfast the next morning will be ready at 8 am and we’ll leave the igloos at 9 to go back to Ilulissat an experience richer! Don’t hesitate to book this unique tour by selecting your preferred date and clicking on Book Now!
- Snowmobile transfer to the igloos and back
- Warm overall and expedition boots
- Accommodation in the Igloos with the possibility of sleeping in a heated hut
- Lunch, Dinner & Breakfast
- Coffee & Tea
- Snowshoe tour to the viewpoint over the Icefjord
• Snowmobile ride down to the frozen fjord. This can be booked as an optional tour
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
The igloos are quite small which doesn't suit people who suffer from claustrophobia, you're also required to walk on all fours through the narrow entrance to the igloo. If this is an issue you can choose to sleep in the wooden cabin.
You do not get to control the snowmobile yourself and there is limited storage space so we recommend only bringing a daypack - hotels can take care of the rest of your luggage.
It is prohibited to bring any alcoholic beverages, but there will be an opportunity to buy some at the cabin.
2 595 DKK
2 Day Hiking and Kayaking Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 4 950 DKK
2 Hours of Dogsledding | IlulissatFrom 1 495 DKK
Vacation PackageIncluding flights from Iceland
3 days Ilulissat Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 21 500 DKK
Vacation PackageBook now
5 Day Ilulissat Explorer | Disko BayFrom 25 000 DKK