Sermermiut Settlement Walk | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Visit the heart of the UNESCO World Heritage Listed Ilulissat Icefjord and understand it’s historical significance on a walk through the Sermermiut Valley - the site of ancient settlements reaching back 4000 years.
After a short transfer out to the edge of Ilulissat, we head off on an easy hike along the boardwalk through the Sermermiut Valley towards the Ilulissat Icefjord.
Along the way we will explain the special characteristics of this area and why it has been inhabited for such a long time. We will also tell stories about the ancient Inuit way of life and how Greenlanders lived before the Europeans arrived, and point out the remains of some of the settlement structures that can be seen from our route (they aren’t obvious if you don’t know what to look for).
The views of icebergs become more and more spectacular as we approach the furthest point on our short hike - the viewpoint of Nakkaavik (literally ‘The place to fall’). There we will enjoy hot tea and coffee overlooking the expanse of the Icefjord before retracing our steps to our transfer vehicle.
Reserve your place on this historical walking tour of the Ilulissat Icefjord by selecting your date of travel and clicking on Book Now.
- Transfer from Ilulissat to/from start point of the hike
- English Speaking Guide
- Coffee & Tea
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). For winter, the outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate. You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots for summer, insulated boots for winter)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (Summer: in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- We recommend that you bring a full set of layers and then decide what to wear on the day. We strongly encourage you to take a windproof jacket on the hike, as a cold breeze can pick up during the tour.
2 Day Hiking and Kayaking Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 4 950 DKK
2 Hours of Dogsledding | IlulissatFrom 1 495 DKK
Vacation PackageIncluding flights from Iceland
3 days Ilulissat Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 21 500 DKK
Vacation PackageBook now
5 Day Ilulissat Explorer | Disko BayFrom 25 600 DKK