Sermermiut Settlement Walk | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Visit the heart of the UNESCO World Heritage Listed Ilulissat Icefjord and understand it’s historical significance on a walk through the Sermermiut Valley - the site of ancient settlements reaching back 4000 years.
After a short transfer out to the edge of Ilulissat, we head off on an easy hike along the boardwalk through the Sermermiut Valley towards the Ilulissat Icefjord.
Along the way we will explain the special characteristics of this area and why it has been inhabited for such a long time. We will also tell stories about the ancient Inuit way of life and how Greenlanders lived before the Europeans arrived, and point out the remains of some of the settlement structures that can be seen from our route (they aren’t obvious if you don’t know what to look for).
The views of icebergs become more and more spectacular as we approach the furthest point on our short hike - the viewpoint of Nakkaavik (literally ‘The place to fall’). There we will enjoy hot tea and coffee overlooking the expanse of the Icefjord before retracing our steps to our transfer vehicle.
Reserve your place on this historical walking tour of the Ilulissat Icefjord by selecting your date of travel and clicking on Book Now.
- Transfer from Ilulissat to/from start point of the hike
- English Speaking Guide
- Coffee & Tea
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). For winter, the outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate. You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots for summer, insulated boots for winter)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (Summer: in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- We recommend that you bring a full set of layers and then decide what to wear on the day. We strongly encourage you to take a windproof jacket on the hike, as a cold breeze can pick up during the tour.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
1 review for Sermermiut Settlement Walk | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Gabriela Zendejas Maldonado –
Great hiking trip! We visited Sermermiut valley during the winter time and the landscapes were wonderful! When we got a break, we shared coffee, tea and biscuits. I would love to have the same tour during the summer time on my next trip to Ilulissat.