3 days Ilulissat Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Experience the best of what Greenland has to offer on this 3-day package tour to Ilulissat, Disko Bay. With an excellent selection of day tours, this package covers the best of Ilulissat in three days.
This tour is perfect for you who are looking to spice up your Iceland holiday with three days in the capital of Icebergs - Ilulissat, Disko Bay. You will be visiting the UNESCO world heritage, Ilulissat Icefjord. The famous Ilulissat Icefiord is filled with icebergs originating from the "Sermeq Kujalleq" which is the most producing glacier in the northern hemisphere. You will be looking upon the large glacier brink of the Eqi Glacier on a full-day boat trip. You will be witnessing what life is like 300 kilometres above the Arctic Circle. Ilulissat town is an exciting mix of Inuit culture, modern life and thousands of sled dogs pulsing under the magical light of the midnight sun.
This is a fully escorted tour to West Greenland which includes 4 bucket list worthed guided excursions! Select a day and book your adventure now!
UNESCO World Heritage Site
You will be flying with Air Iceland from Reykjavik Domestic Airport to West Greenland Ilulissat, takes approximately 3 hours. Meet and greet whereafter you will be transfered to Hotel Arctic, a beautiful hotel and an outstanding view. When you have settled in you will be going on a guided city walk. Then you will have time to explore on your own, a good chance to go and visit the local museum and observe Greenland and see the busy harbor. At dinner time you will be heading back to Hotel Arctic where you will have a 2-course welcome dinner. Around 22:00 we depart for a sunset cruise to the famous Ilulissat Icefiord that is the world's largest ice sculpture park. The experience is overwhelming, lights and colours change constantly and enjoy a late drink on "the real rocks". The duration of the trips is about 3 hours. Dress warm.
(Note: The season for midnight sun is approx. May 22-Jul 24. Outside this season the excursion is operated as an evening cruise with the beautiful sunset reflecting over the icebergs).
You will have breakfast before departing on a boat to the Eqi Glacier. The glacier is 8o km north of Ilulissat and runs into the fjord, and is a breathtaking sight. You can get close to the edge of the glacier by boat as we cruise in front of the glacier for around one hour and might see the calving process. The front of the glacier is 3,4 km wide! The sound of the active glacier is quite remarkable while the sight of icebergs toppling into the water is breathtaking. Afterwards, we continue to the small settlement of Oqaatsut/Rodebay. The local population of about 40 persons is dependent on fishing and hunting; you experience an entirely different world compared to the nearby town of Ilulissat. Guided walk through the village before enjoying a local meal at the old trading station. For hundreds of years, Oqaatsut/Rodebay was a stopover place for Dutch whalers, who dragged the huge whales onto land here in the old village. The village, which lies in a beautiful natural setting just 15 km north of Ilulissat, has its school, church, shop and a single restaurant “H8”, which serves excellent meals in the old colonial building.
After having breakfast at the hotel, you'll go by bus as far as the road goes and then continue on a guided walking tour to the old settlement Sermermiut valley on the famous Ilulissat Icefiord that was inscribed on UNESCO's world heritage list in 2004. The ancient settlement of Sermermiut, 1.5 km south of the town is surrounded by Ilulissat's beautiful icebergs. Various different Inuit cultures have lived here over the past 4,000 years, and you can still see remains from ancient times. Learn about local history and customs before Europeans arrived. See plots settled for thousands of year and admire the views across the majestic icebergs. Please wear proper boots or hiking boots. Approximate 3 hours. The hiking distance is about 3 km (1,9 mls) round-trip; hiking time is about 1 hour. Terrain: mainly track bridge and a bit of uneven nature and rocky trail. Rest of the day free at leisure to hike along the Icefiord and explore the town of Ilulissat.
- Return flight Reykjavik-Ilulissat-Reykjavik including airport taxes
- Hotel/airport transfer in Greenland
- Hotel Accommodation in 4 star Hotel Arctic
- Daily breakfast, welcome & farewell dinner at Hotel Arctic & 1x lunch
- Welcome meeting with local guide at the hotel
- All taxes and fees
- 1-2 hours guided city walk Ilulissat
- 3 hours sunset cruise among the icebergs including refreshments
- 8 hours boat trip to Eqi glacier and hunters village of Rodebay incl. lunch
- 3 hours walk to the old Sermermiut settlement at the Icefiord including refreshments
- Single supplement, mandatory if travelling alone
- Airport transfer in Reykjavik
- Any services that not listed under 'included'
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather) Day Pack
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Personal belongings
- Please send us an inquiry b about your desired dates before booking, as flights and hotel availability are very limited, there may be small changes to costs and overall availability.
- If traveling alone, make sure to choose the single room supplement when booking this tour.
- Depending on availability for flights to Greenland, a flight supplement might apply.
- Trips to Greenland are always subject to weather conditions. Delays and flight cancellations can happen. Therefore we strongly recommend you to buy a travel insurance in your country of residence that would cover any additional travel expenses, should your flights be delayed or cancelled due to weather. We recommend not to book any international flights directly after a trip from West Greenland.
- Most airlines allow 20 kg of check-in baggage. If you have more, there is a fee for the extra weight you bring. Payment for extra baggage is often implemented strictly, because of the small size of the planes.
- It is important to bring Danish Krona to Greenland. Foreign currency is not accepted everywhere. Credit cards are accepted only at a few locations. i.e. at the hotels and larger stores. When you use a credit or debit card, a PIN-code is required.
- Please note there is a 3-hour time difference between Iceland and West Greenland in the winter time and a 2-hour time difference in the summer time.
Terms of service
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the "Terms & Conditions".