5 Day Ilulissat Explorer | Disko Bay
Would you like to visit the UNESCO World Heritage Listed Ilulissat Icefjord but prefer someone else to take care of all the details?
Join us on this fully-escorted 5-day tour to West Greenland that takes in all the highlights of the Ilulissat area and includes flights from and to Iceland, 4-star accommodation, local guided tours and several meals.
During your 5 days in Greenland you will experience the enormous icebergs in the world famous Ilulissat Icefjord by land and by sea, sail to Eqi Glacier to watch spectacular calving events, spot whales in the enormous Disko Bay, visit two small settlements and enjoy lunches made with traditional ingredients, and learn about the Inuit history and current daily life in the Ilulissat area.
Book your place on this exploration of Ilulissat by selecting a date and clicking on Book Now.
UNESCO World Heritage Site
Iceland to Ilulissat, guided city walk, welcome dinner & sunset cruise
Starting from Reykjavik domestic airport, you will fly all the way over the Great Greenland Ice Sheet to arrive in Ilulissat. Make sure you try to score a window seat, as the views flying over Greenland and on the approach to the city are incredible if you have good weather.
Once you’ve settled into your accommodation, we will head out on a guided city walk. This is a great way to get your bearings in Ilulissat and identify places you may wish to return to during your free time. Continue to explore on your own for the rest of the afternoon, or pop into one of the many cafes for coffee and cake, before returning to the hotel for a 2-course welcome dinner.
At around 22:00pm, we will board our boat for a ~2-hour sunset cruise through the world famous Ilulissat Icefjord. Enjoy a late nightcap with ancient ice-cubes as we explore the world’s largest ice sculpture exhibition.
Ilulissat Icefjord & Inuit settlement
After breakfast at the hotel, we will hike to a lookout over the UNESCO World Heritage listed Ilulissat Icefjord through the Sermermiut valley. Your guide will explain why several different Inuit cultures chose to live in this location throughout the past 4,000 years, and we will see the remnants of these ancient settlements as we walk. Following on from yesterday’s city walk, you will also hear more about the local history and customs before Europeans arrived in the area.
The rest of the day is yours to enjoy as you wish. Return to town and spend the afternoon visiting the museum and art gallery, or, if you enjoy hiking, explore more of the Icefjord along the Blue and Yellow trails.
Approximate time: 3 hours total, 1 hour hiking
Hiking distance: 1.9km round-trip, much of which is on a boardwalk
Boat trip to Ilimanaq & whale watching
Keep an eye out for local fishermen amongst the enormous icebergs as we sail across the mouth of the Ilulissat Icefjord to arrive at the settlement of Ilimanaq. One of the highlights of this small village are the wooden houses of the old Danish trading station that date back to 1730. Your guide will explain more about the history and the current everyday life in Ilimanaq on a walk around town before we sit down for lunch at the small local restaurant that serves delicious food based on Greenlandic specialities.
In the afternoon we will board our boat and try to spot whales as we cruise around Disko Bay on our way back to Ilulissat.
Today we will be up early for our full-day boat trip to Eqi - the calving glacier. It will take us a couple of hours to travel 80km North to reach the face of this impressive glacier and you should keep an eye out for whales along the way.
We will sail as close to the face of the glacier as possible while still maintaining a safe distance, and listen to the ice crack while waiting for a calving event. Although nothing is guaranteed, this glacier almost always delivers, and we may be lucky to witness a larger chunk of ice shear off the face of the glacier.
On our return journey to Ilulissat, we will stop to visit the small settlement of Oqaatsut/Rodebay. Most of the 40 residents who live here are dependent on fishing and hunting, and you will experience an entirely different world on your guided tour around the village.
We will have lunch here at the old trading station before returning to Ilulissat in the afternoon and our “farewell dinner” at the Hotel that evening.
Ilulissat to Iceland
The morning is yours to spend as you wish - perhaps relaxing at the hotel, going for one last wander around Ilulissat, or purchasing last minute souvenirs for your family and friends.
At an agreed time, we will transfer you to the airport and say “goodbye for now” as you catch you flight back across the enormous island of Greenland to Iceland.
- Return flight: Reykjavik-Ilulissat-Reykjavik
- Hotel/airport transfer in Greenland
- 4 nights in a 4-star hotel in standard rooms
- Welcome & farewell dinner
- Welcome meeting with local guide at the hotel
- 1-2 hours guided city walk Ilulissat
- 3 hours sunset cruise among the icebergs, including refreshments
- 3 hours hike to the Sermermiut Valley & Ilulissat Icefjord, including refreshments
- 6 hours boat trip to Ilimanaq & whale watching tour, including lunch
- 8 hours boat trip to Eqi glacier & Oqaatsut/Rodebay, including lunch
- Airport taxes and fees
- Flight supplement (if applicable)
- Travel insurance
- Unexpected expenses as a result of weather conditions (including difficulties or cancellations due to ice or weather conditions) or flight or boat delays
- Accommodation, transfers, and food in Reykjavík
- Single supplement for accommodation in Greenland (mandatory if you would like a single room)
- Optional excursions
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Optional: binoculars for spotting whales
- Please note that the date of travel may need to change slightly depending on the availability of flights.
- Departures are usually in the morning from Reykjavik
- Depending on the availability of flights to Greenland, a flight supplement may apply.
- Trips to Greenland are always subject to weather conditions. Delays and flight cancellations can happen. We therefore strongly recommend that you do not book onward international flights directly after your trip to Greenland. Give yourself at least one extra day to make an international connection. We also recommend purchasing travel insurance that will cover any expenses should your flights be delayed or canceled due to bad weather.
- The airlines that fly to Greenland only allow 20 kg of checked-in baggage. If you go over this limit, there is a fee (often strictly enforced) for the extra weight.
- If traveling alone, you must choose the single room supplement when booking this tour.
- It is important to bring cash in the form of Danish Krona to Greenland. While credit cards are accepted in larger locations (eg hotels, supermarkets), they may not be accepted elsewhere. Foreign currency is often not accepted.
- There is a 3-hour time difference between Iceland and West Greenland in the winter and a 2-hour time difference in the summer.
25 000 DKK
2 Day Hiking and Kayaking Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 4 950 DKK
2 Hours of Dogsledding | IlulissatFrom 1 495 DKK
Vacation PackageIncluding flights from Iceland
3 days Ilulissat Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 21 500 DKK
Vacation PackageBook now
5 Day Ilulissat Explorer | Disko BayFrom 25 000 DKK