A day in the life of a Greenlandic Fisherman | Nuuk
Become a fisherman for a day and hop on board, this tour takes you around the surrounding seas of the capital! Greenland is known for its unbelievably stunning nature and vast and rich seas, but Nuuk offers extraordinary opportunities for sailing and fishing.
Greenland's largest income comes from the fishing industry, and on this tour, you will understand why! Even though, the lives of the modern Inuit are dominated by a modern lifestyle, being in nature is still an essential necessity for the Greenlandic people. Fishing is enjoyed by all ages, from small children to the elderly. And we promise you will love it, just as much! You will not only come home with an extraordinary experience, but you will also come home with your freshly caught fish.
The captain knows the surrounding seas of the capital, like the palm of his own hands. So it is on forehand promised, that you will be fishing in the richest waters. Experienced or not, deep fishing is for all. The captain and guide will bring the gear and take care of your freshly caught cod or Acadian redfish.
In between catching fish and sailing, there will be time to enjoy the majestic nature of Nuuk fjord with a hot cup of coffee! During the tour, the guide will tell you all about the fjord and if you are lucky, you might meet one of the many icebergs, calving from the Narsap Sermia Glacier. The icebergs are amazingly beautiful with their white and blue colours - the boat will stop at the most beautiful iceberg, so you can capture it through your camera lens!
The sea doesn’t freeze in the winter and there is enough fish all year round, so this tour is available at any time! Reserve your trip by selecting your preferred date and clicking Book Now.
Find fishing trips in Greenland here!
- Danish & English Speaking Guide
- Closed boat with heated cabin and restroom onboard
- Safety equipment
- Fishing rods and tackle for 2 people
- Tea & Coffee
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Optional: Binoculars for spotting whales
- This tour requires a minimum of 6 people to run. If we do not have enough people on the day, we will try to reschedule you or cancel the tour and refund your money.
- Children younger than two years can attend the tour for free.
- Make sure you bring warm clothes if you want to spend time out on the deck of the boat. It is always colder on the water, and the wind produced by the boat as we sail can be particularly chilly.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
There are no reviews yet.