Assaqutaq Trail Transfer | Sisimiut
Embark on your own hiking adventure from Assaqutaq to Sisimiut on this 7-hour tour. Hiking, climbing and exploring are the keywords for this full-day adventure, departing from Sisimiut.
Assaqutaq is an abandoned settlement located ~10km from Sisimiut. Experience it from the land and the sea by taking this boat transfer out there and hiking back along the beautiful fjord.
We will set out from Sisimiut and sail past an island where Greenlandic sled dogs roam free during the Summer. There is always the possibility of seeing humpbacks and fin whales as we make our way towards Assaqutaq, which was abandoned in the 1970’s as part of the Danish Government’s program to consolidate infrastructure in Greenland.
Once we arrive, you can explore both the old and the refurbished buildings in the village to get a feel for what life was like until relatively recently. Then, head across a small rope bridge to get to the mainland and follow the marked trail back to Sisimiut. Note: the hike is not guided. After transfer, you will get a map with instructions of the hike.
The views of the fjord on one side and the mountains on the other are spectacular, and you will pass an old burial site where the former inhabitants lie (please do not disturb it in any way). The trail itself rises and falls with the contours of the mountains and there are a few parts where boulder scrambling is required. However, for most people, this is an easy to moderate hike.
Reserve your place on the Assaqutaq Trail Transfer by selecting your date of travel and clicking on Book Now.
- Transfer by boat
- Map description of the hiking trail from Assaqutaq to Sisimiut (Self-guided tour)
What to bring
- Layered clothing (see below). You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sunglasses, sun screen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Drinking water
- Food / snacks
- Day pack
- Camera and spare batteries
- The boat transfer takes about 30 minutes and the hike back around 5-6 hours
- The hike is not guided. You will be hiking on your own following a well-marked trail and map
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available.
5-Days Above The Arctic Circle | Sisimiut | West GreenlandFrom 9 461 DKK
Assaqutaq Trail Transfer | SisimiutFrom 650 DKK
Best of winter in Greenland | 5 Days in Sisimiut, West GreenlandFrom 6 211 DKK
Day TourGroup Pricing
Cod Fishing & Snow Crabs | SisimiutFrom 3 500 DKK