Best of South Greenland by Helicopter | Qaqortoq | South Greenland
Join this tour that shows you the diverse highlights of South Greenland! Fiords full of ice, steep mountain sides and waterfalls, glaciers, green hills, settlement sites from the time of Vikings, and the lively sheep farms of today.
Departing Qaqortoq with its colourful houses clustered on hillsides, we fly above the panoramic Sermilik Ice Fiord. Waterfalls tumbling down mountainsides of 5000-feet flank one side of the fiord, with rows of glaciers on the other side. We make a landing beside a wall of ice 2 miles wide. Here at Jack’s Point, listen to the rumbling sounds of the glacier as it moves to release icebergs into the sea. This is a place you can only access by helicopter, as the fiord full of ice is not navigable by boat.
We continue our flight through green valleys, to land at the village of Qassiarsuk. This is where the famous Viking, Erik the Red settled as the first European more than 1000 years ago and named the land Greenland. A reconstruction of the first Christian church on the North American continent, a replica of a Norse longhouse, and various ruins of buildings from the Norse era can be seen in this area. Today, the village is populated by Inuit farmers. Enjoy the flowers among the lush green grass, and horses passing by.
This area, including our next stop, is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site, representing the earliest introduction of farming to the Arctic, and the Norse expansion of settlements beyond Europe. The lush farming landscape at the edge of the ice sheet has been developed by both Norse and Inuit populations over the centuries.
We fly on over the next fiord and the beautiful settlement of Igaliku, to land at our last stop Hvalsey Church ruins, a large and very well preserved Norse site. Vikings thrived in Greenland for 500 years, and then mysteriously disappeared. It is known that they not only farmed and kept livestock but also adapted to Arctic conditions quite well too. However, the reason they disappeared is still debated.
This helicopter tour with stops at a glacier, farmland and historical ruins, will show you all the highlights of South Greenland. Marvel at the landscape carved by ice from millions of years ago, and let your thoughts wander on life in the fiords. Seeing Greenland from above is an exceptional experience.
To experience the best of South Greenland, select your preferred date and click Book Now to reserve your seat.
- Airport fees
- Weight fee
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- If booking a weekend departure, it is mandatory to add the weekend fee. If you do not add this in the booking process, you will be charged the fee after booking.
- The departure time for this tour is flexible. However, if your booking does not meet the minimum number of passengers required for the tour to run, we may need to move your chosen departure time to match you up with the next possible tour. In this case, we will contact you by email to verify the change of time.
- The minimum requirement for this tour is four persons.
- For your safety and comfort, we require you to buy and occupy what’s equal to 1,5 seats if you weigh 115 kg (254 lbs) or more. You will be charged an additional 3300 DKK after booking.
- Please meet at the departure point 10 minutes before departure.
6 800 DKK
Best of South Greenland by Helicopter | Qaqortoq | South GreenlandFrom 6 800 DKK
Expedition South Greenland by Helicopter | Qaqortoq | South GreenlandFrom 11 200 DKK
Day Tour1 To 6 Passengers Included
Experience The Fascinating Igaliku Settlement | Private tour | Qaqortoq | South GreenlandFrom 8 950 DKK
Day Tour1 To 6 Passengers Included
Explore The Norse Viking Ruins | Private tour | Qaqortoq | South GreenlandFrom 3 500 DKK