Guided Settlement Tour & Wilderness Hike | Waterfalls and Arctic Tundra | Ilulissat
Join this full-day guided hiking tour, taking you far from civilisation and into the wilderness surrounding Oqaatsut settlement. This tour is for you, who would like to experience the unspoiled and untouched wilderness of Greenland while visiting Ilulissat.
Your tour departs from Ilulissat Harbour, from where you will be heading north by boat, to the small settlement Oqaatsut. Sailing from Ilulissat to Oqaatsut takes approximately 45 minutes.
En route, enjoy the pristine fjord landscapes and keep an eye out for wildlife.
Immediately upon arrival in Oqaatsut, you will be heading into the wild, accompanied by your guide. You will be hiking for 4 to 5 hours, through Arctic tundra and mountain landscape - this varied terrain is uneven, and, depending on the weather, often quite wet.
As you hike through the raw and unspoiled nature of the Oqaatsut backcountry, only in the company of your hiking group, you will sense the infinite size of Greenland. We will come across a large lake and a steep waterfall tumbling down the surrounding mountains. It's quite a magnificent sight, to witness the large stream of water, contrasting the dark mountains landscape. If you feel like it, we recommend that you bring a bathing suit, for a dip in the lake!
Halfway through the hike, lunch will be served by your guide.
Before returning to Ilulissat, we will do a guided settlement tour of Oqaatsut. Oqaatsut, also know as 'Rodebay', is a Greenlandic settlement, established in 1800 by dutch whalers. The whalers used the settlement as a trading station.
Reserve your place on this beautiful hiking-excursion into the Greenlandic wilderness, by selecting your date of departure and clicking on Book Now.
- Boat Shuttle Service from Ilulissat to Oqaatsut (45 min)
- Experience guide/skipper
- Lunch pack
- Guided Hiking (4-5 hours hike)
- Guided Settlement Tour
- Boat transfer from Oqaatsut to Ilulissat (45 min)
- Refreshments/ water bottle
- Mosquito net /repellent spray
- Anything you need
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- This tour can be extended with an extra day. The two days guided hike, includes a hike following the old main road, taking you from Oqaatsut back to Ilulissat. You can send us an inquiry if you are interested in the extra day.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
1 650 DKK