Guided Settlement Tour & Wilderness Hike | Waterfalls and Arctic Tundra | Ilulissat
Join this full-day guided hiking tour, taking you far from civilisation and into the wilderness surrounding Oqaatsut settlement. This tour is for you, who would like to experience the unspoiled and untouched wilderness of Greenland while visiting Ilulissat.
Your tour departs from Ilulissat Harbour, from where you will be heading north by boat, to the small settlement Oqaatsut. Sailing from Ilulissat to Oqaatsut takes approximately 45 minutes.
En route, enjoy the pristine fjord landscapes and keep an eye out for wildlife.
Immediately upon arrival in Oqaatsut, you will be heading into the wild, accompanied by your guide. You will be hiking for 4 to 5 hours, through Arctic tundra and mountain landscape - this varied terrain is uneven, and, depending on the weather, often quite wet.
As you hike through the raw and unspoiled nature of the Oqaatsut backcountry, only in the company of your hiking group, you will sense the infinite size of Greenland. We will come across a large lake and a steep waterfall tumbling down the surrounding mountains. It's quite a magnificent sight, to witness the large stream of water, contrasting the dark mountains landscape. If you feel like it, we recommend that you bring a bathing suit, for a dip in the lake!
Halfway through the hike, lunch will be served by your guide.
Before returning to Ilulissat, we will do a guided settlement tour of Oqaatsut. Oqaatsut, also know as 'Rodebay', is a Greenlandic settlement, established in 1800 by dutch whalers. The whalers used the settlement as a trading station.
Reserve your place on this beautiful hiking-excursion into the Greenlandic wilderness, by selecting your date of departure and clicking on Book Now.
- Boat Shuttle Service from Ilulissat to Oqaatsut
- Experience guide/skipper
- Lunch pack
- Guided Hiking
- Guided Settlement Tour
- Boat transfer from Oqaatsut to Ilulissat
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- This tour can be extended with an extra day. The two days guided hike, includes a hike following the old main road, taking you from Oqaatsut back to Ilulissat. You can send us an inquiry if you are interested in the extra day.
1 575 DKK
2 Day Hiking and Kayaking Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 4 950 DKK
2 Hours of Dogsledding | IlulissatFrom 1 495 DKK
Vacation PackageIncluding flights from Iceland
3 days Ilulissat Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 21 500 DKK
Vacation PackageBook now
5 Day Ilulissat Explorer | Disko BayFrom 25 600 DKK