Hike To Garnet Rock | Kangerlussuaq | West Greenland
Explore the incredible backcountry of Kangerlussuaq and bring a gemstone with you home on this 8-hour hike! This tour is the quintessence of a Greenlandic summer exploration, offering views of spectacular landscapes, wildlife and fresh mountain air.
Your tour starts from your selected pick-up point. You'll be driven to the Tacan by bus or car, a mountain located south of Kangerlussuaq village. Your hike starts here. The hike is mainly downhill, but we will encounter some hills along the way. We will hike in a pace that won't be too demanding.
En route, chances of seeing a herd of musk oxen grazing and other wildlife such as reindeers, arctic hares, and polar foxes, are very good. You can also enjoy the sights and smells of Greenlandic flora - crowberry bushes, dwarf birch, and rhododendron bushes are common in this Arctic mountain landscape.
After approximately 2-3 hours you will have reached Garnet Rock where you will have a rest and be able to eat your packed lunch while enjoying the silence around you. After eating, you will be given a hammer and a chisel so you can dig for your very own piece of the famous Garnet stones. The guide will help you find some interesting pieces, and who knows what you might find! There are good chances of seeing Peregrine falcons as these grounds are near their nesting area. These falcons are quite rare, so seeing them is a spectacular experience.
After taking in all these great experiences and the fresh mountain air, you will be heading back along the Ferguson lake and over to where a bus or car will be waiting to pick you up and take you back to Kangerlussuaq.
Reserve your place now by selecting your preferred date and clicking on Book Now.
- Transportation to and from Kangerlussuaq
- Experienced guide
- Lunch pack
- Hammer and chisels
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
Multi-day TourIncluding flights from Iceland!
Dogsled Exploration of Liverpool Land | Ittoqqortoormiit | East GreenlandFrom 31 500 DKK
Sailing and hiking in the Kangerlussuaq fjord | West GreenlandFrom 1 595 DKK
Full Day Snowshoe Adventure | NuukFrom 1 850 DKK
Day TourFlights included
Kulusuk Classic daytour | East GreenlandFrom 5 500 DKK