Kapisillit Settlement Visit | Nuuk
Want to experience Greenlandic culture deep into Nuuk Fjord? Visit the last small settlement near Nuuk that still maintains a more traditional way of life on this full-day trip into the Nuuk Fjord system.
This tour takes you 2.5 hours from Greenland’s capital into the Kapisillit arm of the Nuuk Fjord. The entire route is lined with the spectacular mountains and provides no shortage of photo opportunities as you make your way into the remote backcountry via the same method of transportation that local hunters use.
Deep into the fjord your experienced will make a right turn at Uummannaq Island, and enter the Kapisillit fjord. Traveling a bit further in, and you will arrive in Kapisillit. Your experienced captain will dock the boat and escort you on land.
The settlement of Kapisillit is located approx. 75 kilometers Northeast of Nuuk, and can only be reached by sea or air. Kapisillit is inhabited all-year-round and has a population of fewer than 60 people. Visiting the small settlement is a unique insight into what life is like, far from civilization and the hassle of modern life.
This settlement adventure is yours to create. Chat with a local, visit the newly restored church, pay a visit to the only store in town and enjoy the spectacular surroundings of sky-high mountains, untouched arctic tundra, and wildlife.
Before returning to Nuuk, we will make a quick stop in the abandoned settlement of Qoornoq. The colorful houses are spread across the mountain landscape, offering unique and beautiful scenery. In the summer, the settlement is used as a recreational area for hunting and summer cottages.
Rug up against the chill arctic air for this full-day adventure and reserve your place by selecting your date of travel and clicking Book Now.
- English speaking captain
- The tour is on a closed boat with a heated cabin, restroom, and safety equipment
- Life jackets
- Tea & coffee
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket and gloves, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Camera and spare batteries
- Drinking water
- Optional: binoculars
- Although this tour takes place on a closed boat, the best views are from the outer decks. Make sure you bring plenty of warm clothes (even in Summer) so you can enjoy from outside.
- The route is dependent on wind and weather conditions. To ensure the best experience, the scheduled highlights may need to be altered.
- You can order a sandwich or lunch plate in the booking process, or you may bring your own snacks/food.
- This tour has a minimum requirement of 2 passengers. If we do not reach this number of people on the day of your tour, we will cancel the tour and refund the paid price.
Terms of service
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the "Terms & Conditions".
1 750 DKK