Sightseeing In Kangerlussuaq | West Greenland
Explore the history and beauty of Kangerlussuaq on this 2-hour sightseeing excursion! This tour should not be missed by those looking to explore their first destination in Greenland, or looking for a tour while passing through town.
Kangerlussuaq is home to less than 1% of the population in Greenland, but this warm-hearted place is situated in an amazing landscape, blessed by excellent weather. It is, in fact, the record holder for the most amount of sunny days in a year, time and time again.
On this tour, you’ll be driven around Kangerlussuaq to different interesting viewpoints whilst listening to the guide tell about the history of the small settlement. Stories of certain buildings, the earliest inhabitants that arrived more than 4000 years ago and exciting news, such as nearby landscape becoming a part of the highly noted UNESCO World Heritage Sites - is to be heard.
The settlement as it is now is actually a product of the 2nd world war, starting off as an airbase for Americans in 1941. Kangerlussuaq served as a midway point for military personnel and airplanes as crossing the Atlantic in one flight wasn’t viable at the time. As time passed and the necessity for a midway point became less and less needed, the Americans eventually sold the airport to Greenland for 1 dkk, as long as they always had a right to land at the airport. This suddenly gave Greenland an international airport, and an extensive roadway system, unlike anywhere else in Greenland. This, as well as its incredible weather stability and numerous wildlife, has made Kangerlussuaq a hub for tourists, researchers, and adventurers.
In just 2 hours we’ll show you all the interesting sights, where you’ll learn about the Greenlandic culture and their ability to adapt to life in the Arctic. Select your preferred date of travel and click Book Now to reserve your place.
- Experienced guide
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots for summer, insulated boots for winter)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (Summer: in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
3 Day Glacier Adventure | KangerlussuaqFrom 7 995 DKK
4 hour Dog Sledding Tour | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 650 DKK
Camp on the Greenland ice sheet | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 950 DKK
Multi-day TourGroup Pricing
Dog sledding expedition | Kangerlussuaq to Sisimiut | West GreenlandFrom 16 975 DKK