Summer in Ittoqqortoormiit | 8 Days | East Greenland
Journey back in time to a far away place, that will enchant you with the adventurous and breathtaking landscape surrounding Ittoqqortoormiit.
Situated on the East Coast of Greenland, complex place to get to, a long trip to and from this area but nonetheless worth wait and cost. A place surrounded by the huge number of glaciers and pack ice, huge opportunities to spot wildlife and the great National Park situated close by. A very popular place for cruise ships coming for a short visit, and it is a great place to get the ideal insight on the Greenlandic way of life. Ittoqqortoormiit is a small town of 450 inhabitants and their existence still relies very much on of fishing and hunting. The area is so isolated that the big ships providing all the resources to the town, only arrives once a year, therefore not enough food resources alone.
This package tour will not disappoint, the view alone is worth the journey and will surely not be a trip you will forget.
Join this unforgettable journey to a place where the possibilities of wildlife is, almost unenviable. Ensure your adventure by pressing Book now!
Depending on which departure day you choose you will either fly from Akureyri or Reykjavik with a smaller aircraft to Greenland. You will be flying to Constable Point, going by the Greenlandic name Nerlerit Inaat mainly just a building in the place of nowhere situated just beside the runway. Deserted yet a beautiful surrounding area of desert like valleys, mountain view and in the distance the sea. From here you will be flown in a helicopter to the actual town Ittoqqortoomiit. A stunning 15 minute flight over the vast and impressive landscape, a truthfully magnificent sight.
When finally arriving in the town you will be taken to your accommodation.
A perfect day to check out the charming and friendly town of Ittoqqortoormiit. The town of 450 inhabitants, are friendly outgoing people young and old. Although many other places have friendly people, this is a place like no other. The residents here are very happy to greet out-comers due to the very reason of the isolated-ness of the town. They live humble yet rich lives, not in terms of money and wealth but in terms of love and care for others around them. A community that really knows what it means to help out neighbors and live by helping each other. Whenever the men go hunting and they bring back food, the old tradition of sharing amongst everyone especially the elder’s, still grows strong.
The area around town offers loads of hiking trials and enough grounds to cover the rest of your stay. Take a stroll through the desert-like valleys and on your way, you will find arctic flowers not huge of size but nonetheless beautiful. The national flower Niviarsiaq, also known as the broad leaf fireweed, is found all over Greenland, also up here. The blue flower very easily found is the Greenlandic Bluebell, which living up to its name looks very similar to an actual bell.
Depending on the season you will be able to find huge areas surrounded by moss like areas in which when you get close looks like small thorns of a Christmas tree. An eatable and very popular among Greenlanders the mountain crowberry. Very common you will also find blueberries growing close by, not in as huge numbers but equally delicious.
While taking in the breath taking views and enjoying the absolute silence, keep an eye out for wildlife.
... or take a walk through the village observing the local people at their daily routine.
Options in summer time:
* Sailing to Kap Hope, Kap Tobin or Kap Swainsson (pack-ice permitting – late July and August).
- Return flights Reykjavík-Constable Point (CNP) / via Akureyri
- Helicopter CNP-Ittoqqortoormiit-CNP
- Airport taxes
- 7 nights accommodation in Ittoqqortoormiit, in a double/twin room with shared facilities, self-catering
- Accommodation in Iceland the night before and the night after the trip, is not included in this package.
- Any services that not listed under 'included'
- Optional tours & activities in Greenland (only bookable and payable in Greenland)
- Single traveller supplement if travelling alone
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather) Day Pack
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Camera and extra memory cards & batteries
- Credit cards are widely used, but some cash [Danish Kroner] is advisable to have on hand.
- Most airlines allow 20kg of language weight. So it is good to know what you really will need for your journey. But, of course, this depends on what you are planning to do and when – summer or winter, hiking or other outdoor activities, staying in hotels or camping. We would like to give you a general list which reflects our experience about things that should not be missing on a tour to Greenland. Unfortunately no single item of clothing exists that fulfills all of the demands above. The solution is in the onion-principle of multilayers! A 3-layer structure is usually adequate, whereby each has its own specialized purpose: a moisture transfer base layer next to your skin, then one or more adjustable insulating layers, and finally an outer shell to protect you from rain and wind. And of course, you also should not forget gloves and warm caps comfortable, waterproof shoes.
17 500 DKK
Multi-day TourWith professional photographer
Arctic Photography Expedition to Scoresby Sound | East GreenlandFrom 60 000 DKK
Multi-day TourFully Booked
Arctic Wildlife Safari | 8 Days | Ittoqqortoormiit | East GreenlandFrom
Multi-day TourIncluding flights from Iceland!
Dogsled Exploration of Liverpool Land | Ittoqqortoormiit | East GreenlandFrom 31 500 DKK
Multi-day TourIncluding flights from Iceland
Summer in Ittoqqortoormiit | 8 Days | East GreenlandFrom 17 500 DKK