3 Days Of Arctic Winter | Aasiaat | Disko Bay
Explore the jaw-dropping Arctic winter with this three-day tour to one of Greenland’s hidden gems, Aasiaat, Disko Bay. You will uncover an undiscovered corner of the world, and experience the elements of the Greenlandic winter.
You will meet us southeast of Disko Bay in the town of Aasiaat. It is said the town is one of Greenland’s best-kept secret, as its immense and beautiful nature is a nature lovers undiscovered paradise.
You will arrive in town to explore what Aasiaat has to offer. It is a place that almost has more sled dogs, than humans. It is a beautiful town, with colourful wooden houses scattered across the snow-covered Aasiaat Island. It is a place encapsulated by sea ice and occasionally, but rarely, visited by polar bears.
You have a full day to explore Aasiaat Island. Aasiaat is off the beaten tourist path, meaning that the adventures in-town are yours to create. By daytime, skate around the Island on a set of cross-country skis to enjoy the spectacular surroundings of sea ice and snow-covered archipelago. By nighttime, head out to enjoy a solar storm of northern lights dancing across the night sky.
Included in this multiday tour is two nights of accommodation in Hotel Seamen’s Home, breakfast and transfer. Hotel Seamen’s Home Aasiaat is more than a hotel. It is a sanctuary for both locals and foreigners. Leading by tradition the hotel unites locals and foreigners through the hotel's lunches, dinners and other activities. The profit from the hotel is used for welfare in the maritime environment and local community, here especially for children and young people. Therefore, when you book this tour, you help Hotel Seamen’s Home help others.
This tour is ideal for you who are visiting Ilulissat, Sisimiut, Kangerlussuaq or Nuuk, and wish to uncover as much of Greenland as possible. Make the most out of your time in Greenland by joining this multi-day tour to Aasiaat, Disko Bay. Click on the Itinerary tab to read more information about each day of the tour, and then reserve your place by clicking on Book Now.
You arrive in Aasiaat and meet us outside the airport for transfer to Hotel seamen’s Home Aasiaat.
Depending on when you arrive during the winter season, and during the day, you can perhaps enjoy a little time of daylight, before the polar night sets in. Here the sun is absent for a part of the season, and when it returns - it returns slowly.
Check-in, leave your bags in your room and head out to explore, what the town has to offer. Aasiaat is a small town, with approximately 3000 inhabitants. You can easily get around, and while strolling through town, you can enjoy the view of sea ice, surrounding the Aasiaat Archipelago. While overlooking the sea ice, look out for whales, as they are year-round visitors of these waters.
Dinner can be enjoyed at Hotel Seamen's Home Aasiaat.
Aasiaat Island Exploration
The day is at your leisure. Heading around Aasiaat Island provides you with a jaw-dropping nature experience, as everywhere you'll look - there are amazing views. The town is surrounded by sea and endless miles of Arctic tundra, so while you are shovelling your feet through the snow, you'll sense the grandness of the Greenlandic wilderness. To optimize your exploration, we suggest that you rent a pair of cross-country skis at the local ski club.
You’ll head into the white, on Aasiaats groomed trails. The trails are several kilometres long, so you are sure to get a great exploration and workout. Travelling through the dramatic scenery of snow and ice, while listening to the sound of skis skating across the frozen terrain, is a satisfying experience. For more ideas for your days in Aasiaat, read our Ultimate Travel Guide to Aasiaat.
If the night sky is clear and there is a solar storm above the Arctic, you can enjoy a beautiful night sky with stars and northern lights - the Aurora Borealis. There is very little light pollution in Aasiaat, why you often can enjoy the lights from the hotel.
- Accommodation in Hotel Seamen's Home Asiaat 2 nights/3 days
- For solo travellers, the tour includes 2 nights in a single room
- For 2 travellers the tour includes 2 nights in a double room
- For 3 travellers the tour includes 2 nights in a double room and a single room
- For 4 travellers the tour includes 2 nights in two double rooms
- For 5 travellers the tour includes 2 nights in two double rooms and one single room
- For 6 travellers the tour includes 2 nights in three double rooms etc.
- Flight t/f Aasiaat
- All meals, excl. breakfast
- Unexpected expenses as a result of weather conditions (including difficulties or cancellations due to ice or weather conditions) or flight or boat delays
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
4 403 DKK