Amazing 4 Days | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
This is a fully escorted tour to West Greenland and includes 4 guided tours from Ilulissat. Visit a UNESCO world heritage site. Greenland is one of the premier destinations for people dreaming of a trip to the Arctic - uncrowded wilderness and the exciting traditional Inuit culture. Are you looking for your dream to come true, this 4-day trip from Iceland is more than perfect.
Located on the west coast of Greenland - above the Arctic Circle - Greenland's famous Ilulissat Icefjord is the sea mouth of Sermeq Kujalleq, one of the many glaciers through which the Greenland ice cap reaches the sea.
Ilulissat is popular for visitors searching for an ideal mix of authentic Inuit culture and a modern society that pulses under the magical light of the midnight sun. 4,000 people and about 3,500 sled dogs live in beautiful Ilulissat - and over 400 people live in small settlements in the region.
UNESCO World Heritage Site
Iceland - West Greenland, guided city walk ilulissat, Welcome Dinner and Midnight Sailing
The beginning of your journey starts at Reykjavik domestic airport, a few km from central Reykjavik. You will head to the incredible town of Ilulissat. Upon arrival you will be taken to your hotel where you will be spending the next three nights. Ilulissat is situated in the mouth of the 56 kilometer long Ilulissat icefjord, which gives you a bunch of different activities to do for the next two days.
If you are so lucky that you arrive on a sunny day, the flight into Greenland will be a memorable experience. Seeing Greenland from above, gives you a great experience of the massiveness and deserted-ness due to all the mountains and ocean surroundings. The leftover snow from the winter gives the hilltops and mountains a blanket of whiteness in contrast of the darkness of the mountains.
You will arrive in Ilulissat and be taken to your accommodation. When you have settled in it's time to go on a guided city walk.
After your guided tour you'll have some time to explore the town on your own, visit the local museum and observe Greenlandic life at the always busy harbour. Afterwards you will be having an arranged 2-course welcome dinner at the hotel. Around 22:00 we depart for a sunset cruise to the famous Ilulissat Icefiord that is the world's largest ice sculpture park. The experience is overwhelming, lights and colours change constantly and enjoy a late drink on "the real rocks".
Boat Trip to Eqi - The Calving Glacier
You will have breakfast before departing on a boat to the Eqi Glacier. The Eqi glacier runs into the fjord 80 km north of Ilulissat and is one of the most beautiful places in Greenland. You can get close to the edge of the glacier by boat as we cruise in front of the glacier for around one hour and might see the calving process. The front of the glacier is 3,4 km wide! The sound of the active glacier is quite remarkable while the sight of icebergs toppling into the water is breathtaking. Afterwards, we continue to the small settlement of Oqaatsut/Rodebay, The local population of about 40 persons is dependent on fishing and hunting; you experience an entirely different world compared to the nearby town of Ilulissat. Guided walk through the village before enjoying a local meal at the old trading station. For hundreds of years, Oqaatsut/Rodebay was a stopover place for Dutch whalers, who dragged the huge whales onto land here in the old village. The village, which lies in a beautiful natural setting just 15 km north of Ilulissat, has its school, church, shop and a single restaurant “H8”, which serves excellent meals in the old colonial building.
Inuit Settlement at the Ilulissat Icefjord
After breakfast you will be transfered by bus as far as the road goes before continuing on a guided walking tour to Sermermiut Valley on the famous Ilulissat Icefiord that was inscribed on UNESCO’s world heritage list in 2004.
The ancient settlement of Sermermiut, 1.5 km south of the town is surrounded by Ilulissat's beautiful icebergs. Various Inuit cultures have lived here over the past 4,000 years, and you can still see remains from ancient times. Learn about local history and customs before Europeans arrived. See plots settled for thousands of year and admire the views across the majestic icebergs. Please wear proper boots or hiking boots.
This trip will take approximately 3 hours, the hiking distance is about 3 km round-trip.
Terrain: mainly track bridge and a bit of uneven nature and rocky trail.
Rest of the day free at leisure to hike along the Icefiord and explore the In the evening, a 3-course farewell dinner is included at Hotel Arctic.
West Greenland - Iceland
Breakfast at the hotel, before heading out in Ilulissat one last time. Make sure you have done the last minutes souvenir shopping for your loved ones back at home.
The short cut adventure has come to an end and you return by flight to Reykjavik, Iceland.
- Return flight Keflavik-Ilulissat-Keflavik
- Hotel/airport transfer in Greenland
- 3 nights at 4 star Hotel Arctic in standard rooms
- Daily breakfast
- Welcome & farewell dinner at Hotel Arctic
- Welcome meeting with local guide at the hotel
- 1-2 hours guided city walk Ilulissat
- 3 hours hike to the old Sermermiut settlement at the Icefjord
- 3 hours Boat tour among the icebergs
- 8 hours boat trip to Eqi glacier and hunters village of Rodebay incl. lunch/dinner
Please note this trip has 65% non-refundable deposit if you cancel your trip at any time.
- Airport taxes and fees
- Flight supplement (if applicable)
- Travel insurance
- Unexpected expenses as a result of weather conditions (including difficulties or cancellations due to ice or weather conditions) or flight or boat delays
- Accommodation, transfers, and food in Reykjavík
- Single supplement for accommodation in Greenland (mandatory if you would like a single room)
- Optional excursions
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Optional: binoculars for spotting whales
- Please note that the date of travel may need to change slightly depending on the availability of flights.
- Departures are usually in the morning from Reykjavik
- Depending on the availability of flights to Greenland, a flight supplement may apply.
- Please note : Once booking is confirmed (and the flight tickets are issued) and up to 10 weeks before departure: Cancellations and changes (of ANY kind) will cost 70% of the tour package price. If the reservation is cancelled within 10 weeks of departure, there will be a charge of 100% of the tour package price.
- Trips to Greenland are always subject to weather conditions. Delays and flight cancellations can happen. We therefore strongly recommend that you do not book onward international flights directly after your trip to Greenland. Give yourself at least one extra day to make an international connection. We also recommend purchasing travel insurance that will cover any expenses should your flights be delayed or canceled due to bad weather.
- The airlines that fly to Greenland only allow 20 kg of checked-in baggage. If you go over this limit, there is a fee (often strictly enforced) for the extra weight.
- If traveling alone, you must choose the single room supplement when booking this tour.
- It is important to bring cash in the form of Danish Krona to Greenland. While credit cards are accepted in larger locations (eg hotels, supermarkets), they may not be accepted elsewhere. Foreign currency is often not accepted.
- There is a 3-hour time difference between Iceland and West Greenland in the winter and a 2-hour time difference in the summer.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
1 review for Amazing 4 Days | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
30 800 DKK
Ling Pizzinato –
Great trip with friendly guides and beautiful views, a lot to see and participant with small group