Arctic Nights Photography Workshop | Uummannaq | North Greenland
Want to take your dream photos of the Arctic landscape?
Then join this tour that goes to the north of the Disko Bay, here lies the Uummannaq fjord with its iconic heart-shaped mountain. The fjord of Uummannaq is huge, and all over it, gigantic icebergs float freely beneath a horizon of towering mountains and midnight sun. This place is a photographers' dream like no other, much less visited than Ilulissat, we're free to explore the vast wilderness with no one else around. We will arrive in Uummannaq right in time for the first night where the sun hits the horizon, where the light is beyond incredible. While there you will be assisted by an award-winning professional nature photographer, to guide and develop your skills as a photographer. You'll be staying right in the center of town and get to try some of the local cuisine. We will have our own speedboat to travel faster and further than anyone else and quickly get to the most amazing icebergs you've ever seen.
This is an incredible journey on its own, but you can also buy it as an extension to the Arctic Nights photography workshop in Ilulissat, Disko bay. Book your photography adventure in Greenland now!
The people who are continuing the Arctic Night Photography workshop in Ilulissat will be flying from Ilulissat to Uummannaq, after arrival you will meet up and the head to the hotel, here we will have a meeting about the following days before going to a nearby restaurant for dinner. After dinner we will go on our first boat trip around the island of Uummannaq
Uummannaq fjord is perfect for sailing around and exploring, and our fast boat is sure to get us to the right spots quickly and efficiently, we will spend today as true adventurers and go where the light takes us. We'll spend the afternoon hiking and taking photos of the iconic mountain.
There are always gigantic icebergs in the fjord, and plenty species of whales love to come to this area, so keep an eye out for especially minke-, fin- and humpback whales.
We'll spend the afternoon hiking to shoot the iconic mountain.
- Guesthouse accommodation in Uummannaq (don't expect splendor, but the rooms are clean, warm and welcoming)
- Airport Pick-up and Drop-off
- 4 daily meals: Dinner the first evening; Breakfast, lunch, dinner and nighttime packed meals on days 2-3; Breakfast on day 4.
- Professional photography guidance by an award-winning landscape photographer.
- 3 nights of boat sails, shooting icebergs and other landscapes in Uummannaq Fjord. Sails will usually range between 4 hours, covering sunset, sunrise and the Arctic night in between.
- A visit to a traditional Inuit settlement in the Uummannaq Fjord.
- Photography hikes around Uummannaq Island.
- Post-processing lectures and critique sessions.
- Taxes on all services listed above
- Airfare from Ilulissat Airport (JAV) to Uummannaq Airport (UMD). It is highly recommended to book flights as early as possible to secure your spot on the flights. Please contact us for help.
- Thermal clothing and gear.
- Insurance. It is mandatory to insure yourself against physical injury, and highly recommended to insure your photo gear. Tour leaders will not be responsible in case of any personal injuries or damage to photographic gear as a result of an accident during the workshop. A good insurance policy can make a big difference should something happen, and ensure a safe return home.
- Extracurricular activities.
- Alcoholic drinks.
- Non-meal-time snacks
- Non-meal-time soft drinks
What to bring
|• A digital camera, preferrably a DSLR camera with a full-frame sensor, since these cameras have better low-light capabilities. However, a crop-sensor DSLR will also completely suffice. A compact camera can be used, as long as you understand its limitations. NOTE: I highly recommend bringing two camera bodies. It will make your life much easier when shooting with multiple lenses, which is often desired.
• A light tripod for shooting on land.
• An ultra wide angle lens (preferably stabilized). For example, a Canon 16-35mm IS on a FF sensor camera, or a Nikon 10-24 on a crop sensor camera.
• A mid-range zoom lens such as a 24-70mm (preferably stabilized).
• A telephoto zoom lens, such as a 70-300mm or 100-400mm - the longer the better, preferably stabilized. I use a Canon 70-300mm in addition to a Sigma 150-600mm for telephoto shots.
• Recommended: A filter set for landscape photography.
• Thermal gear is essential. I recommend bringing a few light thermal shirts, a fleece jacket and a down coat for the cold nights.
• Warm gloves. It's important to use gloves which enable you to operate the camera while wearing them.
• Thermal long-johns
• Thermal socks. We recommend bringing at least 2 pairs.
• A neck-warmer or a scarf
• A good warm hat which covers your ears.
• Hiking shoes.
|The tour plan below is subject to change. If weather conditions are unfavorable we might not be able to fulfill some of the planned activities. Important: In order to join the workshop, you will be required to sign a contract that establishes that the tour leaders are not responsible to physical or proprietary damages and that you understand and accept several behavioral standards (including not taking excessive risk), necessary to ensure the workshop's success and your safe return. Whale sightings aren't guaranteed, but they are very likely. Space on the helicopters flying to Uummannaq Airport is limited. It is your responsibility to make sure you have a place on the flight. If you don't manage to get a spot on the helicopter, alternative transportation can be arranged from Qaarsut - please contact us for help.|
52 900 DKK
Multi-day TourWith professional photographer
Arctic Nights Photography Workshop | Uummannaq | North GreenlandFrom 52 900 DKK
City walk | Uummannaq | North GreenlandFrom 300 DKK
Dogsled expedition to settlements | Uummannaq | North GreenlandFrom
Dogsledding – 2 hours | Uummannaq | North GreenlandFrom 1 500 DKK