Full day adventure on Greenland Ice sheet | Kangerlussuaq | West Greenland
Explore the great Greenland Ice Sheet on a full-day mini-expedition from Kangerlussuaq.
Travel in comfort in our specially adapted 4WD vehicle, as we transport you through the Arctic tundra to Point 660. Keep an eye out of the panoramic windows for musk oxen, reindeer, arctic hares, and polar foxes as we drive for an hour along Greenland’s longest road to reach the inland ice.
Once we arrive, your guide will provide you with crampons and hiking poles and explain how to use them correctly. They will go over the safety rules for the excursion and then lead you up onto the ice.
It won’t take long for you to get the hang of the unusual experience of walking on a glacier, and your guide will explain the features of this icy, Arctic desert as you hike past brilliant blue meltwater streams, waterfalls, lakes and crevasses - all at a safe distance. You’ll spend several hours exploring and hiking across the undulating surface of the ice, and even have lunch in this exotic landscape. Drinking water comes directly from the glacier!
To go hiking on the world’s second-largest icefield, you do not need to have any special skills or experience. Just the ability to hike for ~4 hours and an enthusiasm for adventure. Reserve your place by selecting your travel date and clicking on Book Now.
- 3-4 hours walking on the Ice sheet (4-6km walk on the ice)
- Transport to and from the Ice sheet by bus
- Experienced glacier guide
- Crampons and hiking poles
- Tea and coffee
What to bring
- Hiking boots. Please note that shoes are not sufficient. You must wear proper hiking boots in order to use crampons
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Although you may not need all of the recommended clothing on any particular day, but you should have it available. Dressing in layers allows you to add or remove clothing on the spot - very important when you are active outdoors. For example, on this excursion, you may want to carry your insulation layer in your day pack while you are hiking, but put it on when we stop for lunch. You may not need your windproof outerwear if there is no wind.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
1 195 DKK
On requestFully Booked!
Greenland Icecap expedition | Point 660 | KangerlussuaqFrom 2 300 DKK
Point 660 Greenland Ice sheet tour | KangerlussuaqFrom 850 DKK
Full day adventure on Greenland Ice sheet | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 1 195 DKK
On requestFully Booked!
The Great Russell Glacier | KangerlussuaqFrom 1 500 DKK