Full day adventure on Greenland Ice sheet | Kangerlussuaq | West Greenland
Explore the great Greenland Ice Sheet on a full-day mini-expedition from Kangerlussuaq.
Travel in comfort in our specially adapted 4WD vehicle, as we transport you through the Arctic tundra to Point 660. Keep an eye out of the panoramic windows for musk oxen, reindeer, arctic hares, and polar foxes as we drive for an hour along Greenland’s longest road to reach the inland ice.
Once we arrive, your guide will provide you with crampons and hiking poles and explain how to use them correctly. They will go over the safety rules for the excursion and then lead you up onto the ice.
It won’t take long for you to get the hang of the unusual experience of walking on a glacier, and your guide will explain the features of this icy, Arctic desert as you hike past brilliant blue meltwater streams, waterfalls, lakes and crevasses - all at a safe distance. You’ll spend several hours exploring and hiking across the undulating surface of the ice, and even have lunch in this exotic landscape. Drinking water comes directly from the glacier!
To go hiking on the world’s second-largest icefield, you do not need to have any special skills or experience. Just the ability to hike for ~4 hours and an enthusiasm for adventure. Reserve your place by selecting your travel date and clicking on Book Now.
- Transport to and from the Ice sheet
- Experienced glacier guide
- Crampons and hiking poles
- 3-4 hours on the Ice sheet
What to bring
- Hiking boots. Please note that shoes are not sufficient. You must wear proper hiking boots in order to use crampons
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Although you may not need all of the recommended clothing on any particular day, but you should have it available. Dressing in layers allows you to add or remove clothing on the spot - very important when you are active outdoors. For example, on this excursion, you may want to carry your insulation layer in your day pack while you are hiking, but put it on when we stop for lunch. You may not need your windproof outerwear if there is no wind.
1 095 DKK
Boat tour to Nuuk Icefjord | NuukFrom 3 800 DKK
Day Tour1 to 6 passengers
Ilimanaq Settlement Visit | Private tour | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 5 450 DKK
Day TourNew tour
Dog sledding tour to the UFO cabin & viewpoint | SisimiutFrom 1 700 DKK
Chasing Northern Lights At Sea | NuukFrom 700 DKK