Northern Lights Tour | Kangerlussuaq | West Greenland
Has it been your dream to see the Northern Lights dance across the night sky?
Kangerlussuaq enjoys around 300 clear nights per year and is one of the best places in all of the Arctic to see the magical Aurora Borealis. So much so, there is a research station located just outside of town that has studied this atmospheric phenomenon for more than 30 years!
Although the light pollution from Kangerlussuaq is limited, we will drive further into the Arctic wilderness to find the darkest spots from which to observe one of the top highlights of the Arctic Winter. You have to experience for yourself the silent ribbons and curtains of light as they twist and turn against their backdrop of twinkling stars - it is not a feeling that can be adequately described in words.
During the tour, you can enjoy a hot Greenlandic coffee (a strong, warming drink with several types of alcohol involved) as your guide explains how the Northern Lights form from a scientific perspective, and then relates Greenlandic stories about “Arsarnerit”.
Reserve your place on this 2-hour bucket list experience by selecting your date of travel and clicking on Book Now.
- Experienced guide
- Greenlandic Coffee (for over 18)
- Information about the Northern Lights
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
This is not a photography tour, though you are welcome to take photos during the trip.
3 Day Glacier Adventure | KangerlussuaqFrom 7 995 DKK
4 hour Dog Sledding Tour | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 650 DKK
Camp on the Greenland ice sheet | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 950 DKK
Multi-day TourGroup Pricing
Dog sledding expedition | Kangerlussuaq to Sisimiut | West GreenlandFrom 16 975 DKK