Boat Trip among the Icebergs | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Explore the towering cathedrals of ice for which Ilulissat is famous on this boat trip amongst the icebergs.
The enormous icebergs of the Ilulissat Icefjord are impressive no matter which way you experience them. Some of their peaks stand more than 100m above the level of the water (remember this is only 7-10% of the total size!), but it is only by looking up at these skyscrapers of ice from the perspective of a boat that you get a true sense of their massive scale.
On this tour we will sail slowly across the mouth of the Ilulissat Icefjord, exploring the fantastic shapes and structures of the ice. They are beautiful in every kind of weather (shades of blue and green on overcast days and brilliant white under the daytime Sun), and are simply magical when silhouetted against the brilliant colors of Arctic sunsets. Don’t be worried about booking a late-night sail - there will still be plenty of light and it is perhaps the best time of all for those who are keen photographers.
We encourage you to dress as warmly as possible for the tour as you will want to spend most of your time out on deck. The very best views are to be had from here. That being said, if you do get cold and need to take a break, our heated cabin is available at any time and we provide hot tea and coffee during the excursion.
To book your boat excursion to this open-air, natural sculpture museum, select your date of travel and click Book Now.
- Transfer to and from the boat dock in town or meeting agreed on a meeting place
- 2-2.5 hours sailing time
- Information about icebergs and the Ilulissat Icefjord from your guide
- Tea and Coffee
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). For winter, your outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate. You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots in Summer, insulated boots in Winter)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Exact departure times may vary slightly from what is offered in the booking process. If this is the case - you will receive an email advising you of the change
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.