Summer in Ittoqqortoormiit | 5 Days | East Greenland
Far away, north-east in the vast country of Greenland, lies Ittoqqortoormiit. A village of colorful houses on the coast, surrounded by mountains. The trip starts in Iceland, from where you fly far to the north, first on an airplane and then change to helicopter, to reach the village. This trip to Ittoqqortoormiit village will give you an unique opportunity to observe and learn of the life in a typical Inuit village, where dogsledding still is an important means of transportation and hunting is still important to the existence of the small community of around 450 people. There is a choice of different activities which you can take part in during your stay in Ittoqqortoormiit or simply relax and enjoy the tranquility of life in the Arctic.
- A glimpse into the Inuit way of life
- Colorful Ittoqqortoormiit village
- Scenic helicopter flight to the village
- Views of icebergs and glaciers
- Arctic nature
- Good possibilities for hiking and boat tours
The accommodation in Ittoqqortoormiit will be in either double or twin rooms. If you are traveling solo there is an additional fee of 300DKK for a single room. The accommodation has shared facilities and is based on self-catering. Do no hesitate to venture out on this new adventure! Click "Choose a date" above to see availability and book your trip.
Today you take a morning flight. Depending on the day you either fly straight from Reykjavik or from Reykjavik via. Akureyri where the passengers for Greenland need to change to a smaller aircraft (Twin Otter or King Air B200) to continue to Greenland. After arrival in Constable Point (Nerlerit Inaat) there is another exciting trip awaiting. To reach Ittoqqortoormiit village you need to take a 15-minute helicopter flight. This is a beautiful flight, where you get to see the landscape from above. Closing in you will start to see the colorful houses appearing. Upon arrival in the village a representative from the guesthouse will meet you and take you to your accommodation.
Ittoqqortoormiit is a little village and you can easily walk around and explore the streets yourself. Walk between the houses and you will also see the sled dogs having some time off in the sun - just remember to keep your distance from them, when the owner is not around.
There is also a possibility of various activities of your own choice. The next days will mention some of your options.
During your stay you can have a look at the museum, the church, handicrafts workshop or just observe the daily life on your stroll through the village.
In the summertime there are different options for activities, which could include hiking in landscape surrounding the village. In the summer when the pack-ice goes away the sea turns into a highway making boat tours to various surrounding locations an option. Suggestions could be to check out boat trips for Kap Hope, Kap Tobin or Kap Swainsson (pack-ice permitting – late July and August).
Today it is time to get ready for departure. You will again venture out on the short helicopter ride to Nerlerit Inaat airport. You can enjoy a last view of the beautiful landscapes, fascinating views of mountains and the glaciers of Liverpool Land and the Hurry fjord. Then you will board the flight back to Iceland and another night's stay in Reykjavik (remember that this accommodation is not included).
- Return flights Reykjavík-Constable Point (CNP) / via Akureyri
- Helicopter CNP-Ittoqqortoormiit-CNP
- Airport taxes
- Accommodation in Ittoqqortoormiit, in double/twin room, shared facilities, self-catering
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). For winter, your outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate. You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots in Summer, insulated boots in Winter)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera equipment: Greenland is a photographer’s paradise and you should ensure to have enough memory cards with you.
- Binoculars: to scout for wildlife.
- You will need to arrive in Iceland the day before your flight to Greenland and stay overnight in Reykjavik also after the tour. Accommodation for these two nights is not included in the package. The price per person (July - September) is based on double/twin room. Single room supplement - per night from DKK 300. Polar Bears are not strangers to this part of the world. When you decide to go off on your own, please let someone know about your programme, and at all times carry signal flares when walking alone. They can be purchased at the KNI store.
Multi-day TourWith professional photographer
Arctic Photography Expedition to Scoresby Sound | East GreenlandFrom 60 000 DKK
Multi-day TourFully Booked
Arctic Wildlife Safari | 8 Days | Ittoqqortoormiit | East GreenlandFrom
Multi-day TourIncluding flights from Iceland!
Dogsled Exploration of Liverpool Land | Ittoqqortoormiit | East GreenlandFrom 31 500 DKK
Multi-day TourIncluding flights from Iceland
Summer in Ittoqqortoormiit | 8 Days | East GreenlandFrom 17 500 DKK