Daytour to Eqi Glacier | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Experience one of the most active glaciers in Greenland on this full-day excursion to Eqip Sermia - the Eqi Glacier.
Leaving Ilulissat, we will sail ~80km north along the coastline, passing the small settlement of Oqaatsut/Rodebay, the huge fjord system of Pakitsoq, and through the Ataa Straight lined with tall mountains to arrive at our destination. This journey is beautiful in and of itself and we may be lucky and see whales and seals along the way.
The Eqi Glacier is about 5km wide and known as “The Calving Glacier”. We get as close as possible (ice conditions and safety dependent) before turning off the engines and sitting back to watch. Usually, we don’t have to wait long before we start to see chunks of the glacier face break away and fall into the fjord. Occasionally a larger chunk will fall - a real highlight! Just make sure you are sitting down or hanging onto the railing when the resulting wave reaches the boat!
You are almost guaranteed to see some activity during the ~2 hours we spend in front of the glacier face. Listening to the crack of the ice and trying to figure out which bit may fall off next is half the fun, and we have plenty of time for pictures and to enjoy our delicious packed lunch.
Make sure you dress very warmly for this tour, regardless of which month you are visiting. Although you can retreat into our heated cabin, the best views are from the outer decks and you will want to spend as much time out there as possible.
To reserve your place, select your date of travel and click Book Now.
- Transfer to and from harbour from Ilulissat
- Professional guide
- Tea and Coffee
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- You must wear warm clothing for the tour. It is usually colder at sea than on land, and the wind produced by the passage of the boat can be even colder.
- Please note that the exact length of the tour will depend on the boat used and weather conditions. Travelling the 80km to the glacier can take anywhere between 2 and 5 hours each way. Regardless of how long this takes, you will have about 2 hours in front of the glacier (unless the weather turns bad).
- The tour is not fully confirmed until there are at least 8 participants. If, on the day of departure, there are less than 8 participants the tour operator can choose to cancel the tour and will refund your money.
Terms of service
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the "Terms & Conditions".
2 545 DKK
2 Day Hiking and Kayaking Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 4 950 DKK
Vacation PackageIncluding flights from Iceland
3 days Ilulissat Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 21 500 DKK
Vacation PackageBook now
5 Day Ilulissat Explorer | Disko BayFrom 25 600 DKK
A Taste Of Greenland | Settlement Adventure in Oqaatsut | IlulissatFrom 1 595 DKK