Daytour to Eqi Glacier | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Experience one of the most active glaciers in Greenland on this full-day excursion to Eqip Sermia - the Eqi Glacier.
Leaving Ilulissat, we will sail ~80km north along the coastline, passing the small settlement of Oqaatsut/Rodebay, the huge fjord system of Pakitsoq, and through the Ataa Straight lined with tall mountains to arrive at our destination. This journey is beautiful in and of itself and we may be lucky and see whales and seals along the way.
The Eqi Glacier is about 5km wide and known as “The Calving Glacier”. We get as close as possible (ice conditions and safety dependent) before turning off the engines and sitting back to watch. Usually, we don’t have to wait long before we start to see chunks of the glacier face break away and fall into the fjord. Occasionally a larger chunk will fall - a real highlight! Just make sure you are sitting down or hanging onto the railing when the resulting wave reaches the boat!
You are almost guaranteed to see some activity during the ~2 hours we spend in front of the glacier face. Listening to the crack of the ice and trying to figure out which bit may fall off next is half the fun, and we have plenty of time for pictures and to enjoy our delicious packed lunch.
Make sure you dress very warmly for this tour, regardless of which month you are visiting. Although you can retreat into our heated cabin, the best views are from the outer decks and you will want to spend as much time out there as possible.
To reserve your place, select your date of travel and click Book Now.
- Transfer to and from harbour from Ilulissat
- Professional guide
- Tea and Coffee
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- You must wear warm clothing for the tour. It is usually colder at sea than on land, and the wind produced by the passage of the boat can be even colder.
- Please note that the exact length of the tour will depend on the boat used and weather conditions. Travelling the 80km to the glacier can take anywhere between 2 and 5 hours each way. Regardless of how long this takes, you will have about 2 hours in front of the glacier (unless the weather turns bad).
- The tour is not fully confirmed until there are at least 8 participants. If, on the day of departure, there are less than 8 participants the tour operator can choose to cancel the tour and will refund your money.
2 545 DKK
2 Day Hiking and Kayaking Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 4 950 DKK
2 Hours of Dogsledding | IlulissatFrom 1 495 DKK
Vacation PackageIncluding flights from Iceland
3 days Ilulissat Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 21 500 DKK
Vacation PackageBook now
5 Day Ilulissat Explorer | Disko BayFrom 25 600 DKK