The Great Russell Glacier | Kangerlussuaq
Get up close and personal with the 60 metre tall face of the Russell Glacier on this excursion to the edge of the Greenland Ice Sheet.
We will travel 25km by 4WD from Kangerlussuaq to the glacier along the gravel “Ice Road” - part of the longest continuous road in Greenland. Our journey takes us through a wide valley sculpted by the retreating glacier, and we will be sure to keep a sharp eye out for the musk ox and reindeer herds that frequent the area.
We will stop several times along the way for photos and to talk about the region around Kangerlussuaq, the features you see, the history, and the animals. We will also visit and tell the story of an old war plane that crashed back in 1968.
Once at the glacier, we will get as close as safety allows. Remember that glacier faces are notoriously unstable and unpredictable, so you should never walk all the way up to it. Here, you will have plenty of time to explore the glacier face listening to the running water, the cracking ice and, if you are very, very lucky, seeing part of the glacier break off and tumble into the meltwater river at its base.
Experience the impressive ice wall of the Russell Glacier from below by selecting your date of travel and clicking on Book Now.
- Coffee & tea
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots) for summer, insulated boots for winter
- Sunglasses, sun screen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes - Summer)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Optional: binoculars
Our tours are fully flexible and utilise a 4x4 four-wheel-drive with room for a maximum of 4 passengers.
The departure of this tour is guaranteed, even for one person.
Please select a time for pick-up, even if you're flexible all day
From June - August, it is critical that you bring a mosquito net as Kangerlussuaq is a paradise for mosquitos.
We recommend combining this tour with the Icecap Point 660 tour (they are in the same direction). See the giant wall of ice at the Russell Glacier followed by a short walk on the Ice Sheet itself at Point 660 for a panoramic view (no equipment needed). The combined tour takes 5-6 hours.
1 125 DKK
3 Day Glacier Adventure | KangerlussuaqFrom 7 995 DKK
4 hour Dog Sledding Tour | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 650 DKK
Camp on the Greenland ice sheet | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 950 DKK
Multi-day TourGroup Pricing
Dog sledding expedition | Kangerlussuaq to Sisimiut | West GreenlandFrom 16 975 DKK