Tundra And Wildlife Tour | Kangerlussuaq | West Greenland
Get to know the wildlife of Kangerlussuaq, on this fascinating 1 1/2 hour wildlife safari around Kangerlussuaq! You will be looking for the astonishing Musk oxen as well as the huge reindeers that roam the area!
Kangerlussuaq is well known for its vast numbers of large mammals since the weather here is quite stable and large areas of land are untouched by the Inland ice sheet. The endless miles of Arctic tundra and stable weather makes it the perfect place to find and see these animals in their natural habitat.
The muskoxen can weigh up to 400 kg, and have the wonderful Greenlandic name of Umimmak, meaning the 'long-bearded one'. The large bulls are a sight to see, especially with their families, but so are the reindeers. The muskoxen and reindeers are not the only animals in the area. Polar foxes, Arctic hares and lots of birds such as eagles and falcons live here as well.
On this exciting tour, you will be driven in a 4DW vehicle with panoramic windows, driving through the incredible landscape of mountains and desert-like terrain. The guide on the tour will bring binoculars for better chances of spotting wildlife.
Of course, going on a tour to look for specific animals is never predictable, the drive will however still be a breathtaking ride. And who knows, you might even be so lucky to get quite close to a herd of musk oxen, in any case, you will leave with some very incredible impressions and photographs.
Reserve your place by selecting your preferred date and clicking Book Now.
- Experienced guide
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots for summer, insulated boots for winter)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (Summer: in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
We cannot guarantee that you will see any musk oxen, but we will do our best to make sure you have a great trip.
3 Day Glacier Adventure | KangerlussuaqFrom 7 995 DKK
4 hour Dog Sledding Tour | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 650 DKK
Camp on the Greenland ice sheet | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 950 DKK
Multi-day TourGroup Pricing
Dog sledding expedition | Kangerlussuaq to Sisimiut | West GreenlandFrom 16 975 DKK