Unplugged Wilderness | East Greenland
Uncover the wildest and remote places in Greenland on this extraordinary trip. Here the mountains are steeper, the icebergs more abundant. The local Inuits stay close to their origin, as their survival is still dependant on their fishing and hunting successes. Deep fjord systems and floating icebergs create the perfect arctic atmosphere for an unforgettable journey.
On this amazing trekking tour, we will enjoy the sights of this breathtaking landscape both from the bottom and at the top of small peaks. The tour includes the popular must-see Karale fjord, as well as the remote but fantastic Tasilaq fjord. This area is relatively easy to access yet still remote, giving you a great opportunity to experience Greenland's peaceful nature without the extremely difficult trek to reach such unique isolation. The use of our boat makes this the ideal travel for those who like to do real trekking without the labour of carrying heavy packs.
Book your unforgettable wilderness experience in Greenland now!
Flight Reykjavík - Kulusuk. Transfer to Karalefjord where we put up the camp for 3 nights. Aprox 3 hours sailing.
Walk to a 850 m high mountain above the fjord. Simply breathtaking view. Back to same camp. 6-7 hours walk.
Walk to a glacier that flows to the sea in front of Karale. Includes either a crossing of glacier river or a small glacier to avoid the river. Return to same camp 7- 8 hours walk.
We leave Karale and walk over a small pass on the Nunartivaq mountain, down into a small valley full of old stone blocks (boulders). 5 hours walk. Possibility to take a afternoon walk in the valley.
From Nunartivaq we follow the slopes of the mountains that descend into the sea, towards the South West. We walk into the Ikateq strait, a narrow passage between the mainland and the Qianarteq island. We arrive to a valley with and old abandoned military airport from WWII where we put up our camp. 6- 7 hours walk.
We continue through the Ikateq straight towards the Tunu fjord. In Tunu we have to ford a large glacier river that flows in many branches towards the sea. Now in the narrow Tunu fjord between high and steep granite mountains, we continue to Tunup Kua valley where we put up camp. 6 to 7 hours walk
Walk in the Tunup Kua and over a mountain pass over to the Tasilap Nua valley in the extremely narrow and deep Tasilaq fjord. Surrounded by up to 1500m high granit peaks on both sides this walk is fantastic. 6- 7 hours walk.
Following the coast, we walk straight north to the very bottom of the Tasilaq fjord. On the way we cross a couple of small streams. We put the camp up close to a river coming from the valley behind Tasilaq fjord, called Tasilap kua.
We put our packs on the back and carry our sleeping bags and food for two days, up to the Tasilaq mountain hut, situated at around 700 m altitude in a mountain range rising above 2000m. We make ourselves comfortable in this cozy mountain hut. 5 hours walk.
We walk out from the mountain hut to climb an easy summit rising above the hut. We enjoy this fantastic alpine landscape. Return to the hut. 6 hours walk.
We descend to the Tasilaq fjord again where from we sail back to Kulusuk where we spend the last night in a small sleeping bag accommodation in the Kulusuk village. 4 hours walk and 3 hours boat.
- Fully Guided trekking tour for 12 days
- Walking per day:5-8 hours. Total walking distance 140 kilometres (87 miles), Altitude: 0 - 850 meters, Maximum ascent: 1000 meters (3280 feet)
- Food: Breakfast x 11, Lunch x 10, Dinner x 11
- Boat transfers
- Boats for baggage transport
- 8 nights tent accommodation (Tent provided)
- Cooking gear
- 2 nights hut accommodation
- 1 night hostel accommodation in Kulusuk
- Visit Karale Glacier and glacier hike
- Visit of Karale, Tunu fjord and Tasiilaq fjord
- Visit Abandoned Ikateq US Army Base
• Flights to/from Kulusuk. Please contact us if you would like to add flights to your booking.
• Personal equipment
• Insurance and expenses
What to bring
• Footwear: Hiking boots with ankle support and river shoes (walking sandals or old running shoes for river crossing)
• Long sleeve shirt and T-shirt (thermal underwear, wool or synthetic)
• Trousers for hiking
• Wind and waterproof jacket and trousers
• Warm hat, gloves, two or three pairs of socks (whool or synthetic)
• Water bottle 0,5 - 1L.
• Sleeping bag, 3 season sleeping bag is recommended
• Toiletries and light weight towel
• Sunglasses, sunscreen and mosquito protection (nets and repellants)
• Personal first aid kit (blister care), prescription medicine and other personal health items
• Headlamp and earplugs
• Backpack for hiking, 50L. backpack is suitable
• Change of clothes for wearing in the camp/hut
• Optional gear: Camera, walking poles, puffy jacket, pen knife, neoprene socks for river crossing
25 600 DKK
Vacation PackageIncluding flights from Iceland
A Touch of Greenland | Kulusuk | East GreenlandFrom 9 200 DKK
Boat Transfer between Kulusuk and Tasiilaq | East GreenlandFrom
Multi-day TourAvailable Dates 2022!
East Greenland Photo Exploration | TasiilaqFrom 7 400 DKK
Gate Way To Greenland | Kulusuk & Tasiilaq | East GreenlandFrom 21 100 DKK