Whale Safari in Nuuk | West Greenland
If you are planning to visit Nuuk between May and September and have a desire to see the majestic humpback whales, this tour is without question a tour for you. This tour takes you out in the breathtaking landscape of the Nuuk Fjord with the aim of finding humpback whales. Of course, there is no guarantee of finding them since they are free to swim wherever it suits them. Nonetheless, this tour will no matter what be a great experience. The Nuuk Fjord is a perfect place for humpback whales since it is 600 meters deep and rich in fish, and hunters are not allowed to hunt them in the fjord which is the only place in Greenland where our big friends can swim in peace. They can only be seen from June to September since they spend the rest of the time in the Caribbean and other warmer sees where they breed during winter. It can grow up to 18 meters long and weigh up to 30 tons and you can easily identify them by its beautiful tail. And when you see them, they will sweep off your feet. On the sailing tour, you can be out on the deck or be inside the warm cabin with the local captain and the guides and enjoy a good chat and drink tea, coffee, and hot chocolate. Select a departure and press Book Now to reserve your spot on the tour.
- English speaking captain
- The tour is on a closed boat with a heated cabin, restroom, and safety equipment
- Safety equipment
- Tea & coffee
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket and gloves, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Camera and spare batteries
- Drinking water
- Optional: binoculars
- Although this tour takes place on a closed boat, the best views are from the outer decks. Make sure you bring plenty of warm clothes (even in Summer) so you can enjoy from outside.
- The route is dependent on wind and weather conditions. To ensure the best experience, the scheduled highlights may need to be altered.
- You can order a sandwich in the booking process, or you may bring your own snacks/food.
- This tour has a minimum requirement of 2 passengers. If we do not reach this number of people on the day of your tour, we will cancel the tour and refund the paid price.
Terms of service
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the "Terms & Conditions".
1 050 DKK