Explore Ilulissat Icefjord By Snowshoe | Disko Bay
Discover the beauty of Ilulissat Icefjord with this 5-hour snowshoe hike. In the company of a local guide, you will be venturing out on the white slopes of Ilulissat backcountry, cross frozen lakes and experience the icebergs of the Icefjord!
Ilulissat Icefjord is known for its towering icebergs and spell-binding surroundings. The icebergs of the fjord, calves from one of the world’s most active glaciers, the Sermeq Kujalleq glacier. Did you know that the Sermeq Kujalleq calve out 10 pct. of Greenland’s icebergs? On this tour, you will get to experience the magnificent scenery of Icebergs from the shore of the fjord!
Your tour starts by Ilulissat Guesthouse, where you will be met by your group and guide. A short briefing of the tour will take place, and you will get equipped with a pair of snowshoes. Once you are ready, you will venture out on the frozen Arctic tundra.
Conquering the slopes of Ilulissat by snowshoe is an exhilarating experience! You will feel the cold bite your cheeks and your breath adjust to the cold temperatures. As you hike through the snow, you will come across several frozen lakes. The Arctic temperatures create a stunning mosaic of frozen lake water – the perfect photo opportunity for documenting your hiking adventure! As you are in the care of educated and experienced guides, the guide will evaluate if the ice is safe to cross.
The final destination of the tour is the incredible Icefjord. You will get to enjoy the scenery of ice with a hot cup of something warm and biscuits served by your guide. Seeing the massive blocks of icebergs drift through the fjord, and hearing the dramatic sound of a calving iceberg, is worth the hard work of hiking!
If you are looking for things to do, during your winter visit to Ilulissat, we suggest that you put on your warmest hat and join this exhilarating hike to the UNESCO World Heritage, Ilulissat Icefjord! Check the booking availability by pressing ‘Book Now’ above.
- 4,5 hours guided tour
- Snowshoes & poles
- Hot beverages & biscuits
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- A warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Water bottle
- Please note, that the tour can be done by all who are physically active.
- Dress in multiple layers, so you can adjust your body temperature while hiking.
2 Day Hiking and Kayaking Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 4 950 DKK
2 Hours of Dogsledding | IlulissatFrom 1 495 DKK
Vacation PackageIncluding flights from Iceland
3 days Ilulissat Adventure | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 21 500 DKK
Vacation PackageBook now
5 Day Ilulissat Explorer | Disko BayFrom 25 600 DKK