The Calving Glacier Eqi | Private tour | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Experience the Arctic wonder, Eqi Glacier on this 6-hour boat tour! The magnificent Eqi glacier is a must-see when visiting Ilulissat. The glacier is known for its remarkably large glacier front, that stretches over 4 kilometres. An overwhelming sight that truly shows the grandeur of the Greenlandic nature!
Your adventure of a lifetime starts by Ilulissat Harbor, where you will be welcome aboard our closed cabin boat.
Eqi is located around 80 kilometres north of Ilulissat, approximately two hours of sailing. During these two hours, there are great chances of seeing whales in all sizes and 100 % chance of seeing icebergs. We will be sailing through the beautiful Ataa fjord, and while sailing you can enjoy the picturesque snow-covered mountaintops that circumscribe the waters of the fjord - a sight worth a tour itself.
By the bottom of the fjord, we will arrive by the glacier front. Visiting the glacier front is quite unique, as conditions allow us to get quite close to a calving glacier – but please keep in mind, that we only sail as close to the glacier, as safety allows.
As you enjoy the pristine view of the glacier front, you can hear the crackling noises of air bubbles trapped inside glacier and icebergs. If you are lucky, you might witness the dramatic sight and sound of an iceberg calving from the glacier. The waters of the fjord is an ever-flowing stream of icebergs in all shapes and sizes. Here they start their journey towards the open sea.
Reserve your private tour for up to 6 people by selecting your preferred date and clicking Book Now.
- VIP boat charter (for maximum 6 people)
- Trip in a heated cabin boat
- Experienced local captain
- 6 hours tour to Eqi glacier
- Coffee and tea
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Snacks / food
- Optional: Binoculars for spotting whales
- The price is for chartering the whole boat and includes 1-6 people. Please select the correct number of people in the booking process (the price won't change). It is important for the captain to know how many people will be joining. For more than 10 people, please contact us.
- It is possible to bring your own food, but save yourself the trouble and order a sandwich or a lunch plate in the booking process
- There may be changes in the timing of the trip due to weather. The decision lies with the captain. If the trip is cancelled, there will be a full refund.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
10 700 DKK