Traditional Greenlandic Kayak tour | Sisimiut
Embark on a journey back in time and try a traditionally built kayak made with wood and linen around the beautiful surroundings of Sisimiut.
The word kayak originates from the Greenlandic word qajaq, and has been an important tool for the survival of the inuits that settled in Greenland. Today there are far fewer local kayakers, as boats with engines have proven more popular with the local hunters and fishermen. This, however, doesn’t stop some of us from keeping the tradition alive, and in some places, you can only hunt the wildlife from a kayak. Your guide will tell you all about the history of kayaking from the 17th century until today.
The kayaks were built to fit the owner, but mine are slightly wider to accommodate people who want to try. The kayaks will be equipped with a harpoon and avataq(a flotation device) so that when you feel stable enough, you can try what it was like to hunt in the past.
If you’d like to bring your children on this experience, we can fit the kayaks with a flotation system that makes it impossible to capsize.
So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and reserve your seat on a traditional kayak today, by clicking on Book Now.
Kayaking & SUP
- Professional Guide
- An introduction to the history of kayaking from 1600's to present day
What to bring
- A warm upper layer
- A warm lower layer
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Warm hat, gloves & buff or scarf
- NOTE: It will be very difficult for people over 1.85m in height to fit in the kayak.
- The first hour will be about putting on all the equipment as well as an introduction to the kayak and its history. We will spend about 2 hours in the water.
- You will need to sign a waiver of liability to go on this tour.
1 695 DKK
5-Days Above The Arctic Circle | Sisimiut | West GreenlandFrom 9 461 DKK
Assaqutaq Trail Transfer | SisimiutFrom 600 DKK
Best of winter in Greenland | 5 Days in Sisimiut, West GreenlandFrom 6 211 DKK
Day TourGroup Pricing
Cod Fishing & Snow Crabs | SisimiutFrom 3 500 DKK