Camp on the Greenland ice sheet | Kangerlussuaq | West Greenland
Walk in the footsteps of the Arctic explorers and spend a night camping on the Great Greenland Ice Sheet.
Get up close and personal with meltwater rivers, frozen lakes, and crevasses as your experienced glacier guide introduces you to hiking safely with crampons and leads you across the frozen icecap. From the famous Point 660, to our ice camp, to the Russell Glacier, this trip will give you plenty of glacier hiking experience and take you to the most interesting features in the area.
Spending a night on the world’s second-largest icefield is a truly unique experience. Miles from anywhere, with no light or air pollution and some of the best weather conditions in Greenland, our ice camp is the perfect place to fully experience the Midnight Sun or magical Northern Lights (depending on when you visit).
Scroll down for more information and the full itinerary, then book your place on this once-in-a-lifetime experience by selecting a date and clicking Book Now.
We meet at the Polar Lodge in Kangerlussuaq at noon and board a specialized 4WD vehicle with large panoramic windows. The icecap is about 25km away through the Arctic wilderness and it will take us about an hour to reach the access point at Point 660.
Once we arrive, your experienced glacier guide will give you a safety briefing, introduce you to the equipment you will be using, and give you a summary of the next couple of days. From there - it is up onto the ice sheet for a 2 hour hike to our campsite and a well earned hot drink and sweet snack.
Depending on weather, there may be the opportunity for another short hike in the vicinity of the camp before returning for a dinner of a freeze-dried, just-add-boiling-water trekking meal. These are more delicious than they sound and provide all the energy you need to keep you going.
After dinner, we will do as the Inuit did and tell stories about Greenland while enjoying the Midnight Sun or perhaps the dancing Northern Lights - depending on when you visit.
The day begins with an energy-packed breakfast in the comfort of your tent before setting out across the ice sheet to visit the impressive Russell Glacier.
Along the way, there will be plenty of opportunities to see and learn about the different features of an icefield, like the brilliant blue (and picture perfect) meltwater streams that are formed during the warmer months, and you will get a feeling for the size and depth of crevasses from a safe distance.
After visiting the Russell Glacier and discovering how calving glaciers work, we will break camp and head back to Kangerlussuaq.
- Transport from Kangerlussuaq to and from the Ice Sheet
- Experienced guide & safety equipment
- Full board and non-alcoholic drinks
- All equipment incl. tent, sleeping bag, crampons, hiking poles
- Basic toilet facilities
What to bring
- Min. 40 liters back pack (can be rented in the booking process)
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy hiking boots. We will use crampons, so shoes are not sufficient
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Water bottle
- Personal items
- This is an adventure tour. You must be prepared to: carry your sleeping bag and part of a shared tent, help set up and tear down camp, use very basic toilet facilities, eat simply, deal with all sorts of weather.
2 950 DKK
3 Day Glacier Adventure | KangerlussuaqFrom 7 995 DKK
4 hour Dog Sledding Tour | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 650 DKK
Camp on the Greenland ice sheet | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 950 DKK
Multi-day TourGroup Pricing
Dog sledding expedition | Kangerlussuaq to Sisimiut | West GreenlandFrom 16 975 DKK