Dog Sledding Tour | Kangerlussuaq | West Greenland
Experience the pristine Arctic landscape around Kangerlussuaq using one of the oldest and most traditional forms of transportation in the Arctic - the dog sled.
Embrace Greenlandic culture as you are pulled through the tundra by a team of hardy Greenlandic dogs. They have been specially bred for this work over thousands of years by the Inuit, and their enthusiasm to pull, and the special bond that exists between them and their musher (dogsled driver) is plain to see.
On this tour, you will travel primarily across the frozen, flat ice of the fjord. This can be a smoother and more pleasant ride than dogsledding over hilly terrain, and may be more appropriate for those who have some back pain. Your musher will also explain how to control and care for the dogs, and you may even have a chance to drive them yourself!
If you are worried about the cold - don’t be. We will provide you with the preferred outer clothing of most mushers - warm furs and insulated winter boots - and a reindeer skin placed on top of the sledge will provide a further layer of insulation.
Wearing skins and dogsledding is the way of life in Greenland. Experience it for yourself by selecting your date of travel and clicking on Book Now.
- Warm fur clothing
- Warm, insulated boots
- Transfer to and from Kangerlussuaq to the dogsledding
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- The tour will take a total of 3 hours, including transportation to the departure point and safety briefing. You will be on the dogsled for 2 hours.
- Although you will be given fur outerwear, you must still dress warmly - preferably in layers
- You must follow the safety instructions for dogsledding. In particular, do not hold the sides of the sled but rather the ropes in the middle.
- You should never approach the dogs without the owner's permission.
Terms of service
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the "Terms & Conditions".
1 745 DKK
3 Day Glacier Adventure | KangerlussuaqFrom 7 995 DKK
4 hour Dog Sledding Tour | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 650 DKK
Camp on the Greenland ice sheet | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 950 DKK
Multi-day TourGroup Pricing
Dog sledding expedition | Kangerlussuaq to Sisimiut | West GreenlandFrom 16 975 DKK