Expedition on Dogsled | 2 Days | Ilulissat
Dogsledding is a must when visiting Greenland and therefor PGI Greenland offers a 2-day trip that allows you to get the full experience. This not only is an ultimate trip for stunning views but also to learn about the dogsled and dogs along with the dedication it requires to handle a pack of dogs. An extremely fulfilling experience surrounded by breathtaking landscape away from civilization. Accompanied with your guide that will help you be able to talk to the musher and come close to the Greenlandic dogs. You will also be helping with getting the dogs and sled ready to head out into the wilderness.
An astonishing cultural experience that where you come close to the stunning landscape of ice and snow in the safe hands of a local musher. On this journey, you will get to learn to control the dogs and sled and travel through the untouched tundra and over frozen fjords. The start of the journey will be the most impressive and thrilling experience, as you sit back and let the dogs and musher take you across frozen lakes, hillsides and impressive scenery.
Accommodation on this trip will be in a cozy, simple hut with shared facilities where you will be served Greenlandic foods - a real gastronomic experience. Early in the morning you will see the local fishermen venture out to take up their long fishing lines with halibut. You will also have the opportunity to try icefishing yourself. This trip is for everyone who seeks a unique arctic experience, where you will be in the safe hands of the musher and guide. Come along this journey through the winter paradise away from civilization. See availability by pressing ‘Choose a date’ and book your adventure today.
Departing From Ilulissat
Meeting up with your guide you will be introduced to the musher and his dogs. Here you will get an introduction along with a briefing of the trip ahead and safety instructions. Then its time to head out into the wilderness, where you can sit back and breathe in the fresh air and enjoy the incredible scenery. The further out we get, the more the landscape opens up you get the sensation of how massive and endless the tundra is. Let yourself get lost in the stunning views of mountains, hills, frozen lakes and fjords as the sun shines over the white surface. The destination is the hut where you will be spending the night. There will be plenty of breaks for pictures and something hot to drink before the journey continues. Arriving at the hut, there will be prepared a lovely meal of Greenlandic specialities for your enjoyment. As soon as it gets dark, we invite you to go outside and look up at the star lit sky. If you are lucky you might be able to see the stunning northern lights dancing across the sky.
Icefishing on Ilulissat Icefjord
After breakfast with the lovely view of snow and ice it is time to pack the sled and head back towards Ilulissat. But before we come back to town, we will head to Ilulissat Icefjord. Strolling across the arctic tundra with yet another stunning panoramic view as you hear the snow crunching underneath the sled and paws of the dogs. The heading is to the fishing spot where many of the locals come and dig through the thick ice to fish for halibut. You will be able to try your luck with a longline and test your patience before the journey back to Ilulissat in the afternoon.
- Dogsled, dogs & musher
- 1 breakfast & 3 meals with local food
- Hot beverages & snacks
- Warm jacket, pants, gloves & boots
What to bring
- First upper layer (thermal shirt, wool or synthetic)
- First upper layer (thermal pants, wool or synthetic)
- Thick socks (wool is ideal)
- Second upper l-ayer (fleece)
- Second lower layer (hiking/ski pants)
- Third layer jacket (Primaloft or down)
- Third layer pants (wind and water proof pants)
- Fourth layer jacket (wind and water proof jacket)
- Warm gloves or mittens
- Prescription medication and other personal health items.
- Personal clothes and hygiene items for 3 days and 2 nights
- Money (cash) to buy snacks, refreshments or other items in the local shop (not mandatory)
- Please note that due to unpredictable weather and conditions during winter, the itinerary of this tour is subject to change. While it is our goal to deliver the best tour experience possible, the safety of our clients is always our first priority. The duration of our activities includes the time to gear-up / dress-up, safety briefings and transfers to departure points. No previous experience is needed for this trip as you will be accompanied by a guide that will help you through the whole process. Please inform in advance if you have diabetes, cardio problems or other medical conditions, that might affect the tour. All tours in Greenland are weather dependent.
- All participants will have to sign a Waiver of Liability before starting the activity. You can find the Terms and conditions in the description of the tour operator, here you also find cancellation policy.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.