Experience traditional Inuit drum dancing | Tasiilaq | East Greenland
See and listen to a local performer do a traditional drum dance. A drum dance is an Inuit form of art that has been around for at least the past 4500 years. Drum dancing has been used an entertainment, for spiritual ceremonies, and to solve interpersonal conflicts.
The drum, made up of either bones or wood would usually have the stomach skin of a polar bear, but is now more varied and differs in shape and size depending on where in Greenland you go.
When the missionaries came in the 18th century, drum dancing and singing were seen as heathen activities and were suppressed over the following years resulting in a near-complete loss of it in western Greenland.
This tradition has lasted more strongly in the North and on the East coast and so most of what we know has come from these regions. Although there are few performers left, a dedicated effort to revive this tradition has helped, such as through seminars and funding for performers to teach their skills of making drums and performing the songs in schools.
The drum dance today is mostly performed at certain events such as festivals, and special religious events, and is even used to start sessions in the Greenlandic Parliament.
Don’t miss out on this cultural experience and book a show full of storytelling and traditional music today! Book your front-row seat by selecting your date of travel and clicking Book Now.
- Perfomance by a local drum dancer
- Unlimited number of people can attend
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- There is no per person price, this can be booked at any time for any group size.
1 300 DKK
5 Day Greenland Highlights Tour | East GreenlandFrom 13 000 DKK
Boat tour among icebergs | Tasiilaq | East GreenlandFrom 800 DKK
Boat Transfer between Kulusuk and Tasiilaq | East GreenlandFrom
City tour and hike to the flower valley | Tasiilaq | East GreenlandFrom 620 DKK