Ice Cap Adventure | East Greenland
By joining this ice-climbing day-tour, you will set your feet on the Greenland Ice Sheet!
You will be setting off from Tasiilaq Harbour (or Kulusuk on request) with a two-hour boat tour. While sailing you can enjoy the diverse East Greenlandic fjord landscapes, of tundra, waterfalls and icebergs, and possibly wildlife. Humpback whales, fin whale, orcas, and seals are not strangers in these waters.
After sailing for two hours you will reach the edge of a glacier branch that flows out from the Ice Cap. You will go on the land with the guide. The guide will start by introducing you to all the gear that is needed for ice-climbing and the safety precautions that apply to these kinds of tours. When you are geared up, the guide will teach you how to move on the ice, step for step. After the easy start, you will move to a more adventurous terrain. While climbing on top of the Greenland Ice Sheet you will experience great and unique views of the vast surface of Icecap, and sense the infinite size of the ice.After climbing we return to Tasiilaq.
To climb on the worlds largest ice surface, select your wished day of departure and click Book Now.
- Certified guide
- Glacier equipment
- Water, coffee, tea
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Water- and windproof outerwear
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- The tour is generally suitable for everybody and no previous experiences are required. You should, however, be able to hike for a while for attending the tour.
- Remember to wear good outdoor clothing, that you can move in and that are suitable for the weather.
- There have to be at least 4 participants before the tour can be confirmed. There is a limit of 10 participants per tour.
Terms of service
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the "Terms & Conditions".
3 000 DKK