Hunting Northern Lights with Snowmobile | Ilulissat
Experience one of the best views of the magical Northern Lights with our “Snowmobile taxi” tour to the backcountry surrounding Ilulissat.
You do not need to know how to drive a snowmobile to enjoy this tour. Simply sit back in the “cab” and let us do all the work.
Leaving Ilulissat, we will follow a dogsled track into the mountains. Depending on the Northern Lights, we may stop at several different sites so you can take in one of the highlights of the Arctic Winter. Far from the light pollution of Ilulissat, these dark locations offer the most striking panoramas of nature’s spectacular winter light show and are the perfect places to tell local stories about the Aurora Borealis.
Remember that we cannot guarantee that you will see the Northern Lights on any particular night. Some nights we are lucky, and on others we are not. However, venturing out into the deep Arctic night is an experience in itself, and if it becomes too cloudy, we will do our best to reschedule.
Reserve your place by selecting your date of travel and clicking Book Now.
- English speaking guide
- Safety helmet
- Tea & coffee
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Pick-up is not included. Please meet us at the departure point (see pictures)
- If you are unsuccessful at seeing the Northern Lights on your scheduled tour, we will do our best to reschedule you for another night.
Terms of service
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the "Terms & Conditions".
1 200 DKK