Kaffemik in Ilimanaq | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Visit a local 'Ilimanarmiut' family and experience the Greenlandic hospitality.
A 'Kaffemik' is a traditional get together that is held at any special occasion in Greenland. Usually people invite family, friends and in smaller places the whole village joins. The structure of a 'Kaffemik' is very loose, the guests do not have to attend at a fixed time, but come when it suits them, stay for a little while to have coffee and cake and then leave. You will always find a lot of food at a 'Kaffemik'. The tables will be full of Greenlandic specialties, lots of different cakes and something good to drink.
On this trip you get to visit one of the local families that have lived in Ilimanaq for a long time. They will introduce you to the local way of life with all its cultural traditions. They will tell you stories from the old days and what it is like living in a place like this today in the ever more modern and globalized world. This is a unique opportunity to get close to the nice local people and support the local community.If you are staying in Ilulissat, please remember to add-on your transportation to and from Ilimanaq in the booking process. Reserve your foodie and cultural experience by selecting your preferred date and clicking on Book Now.
- English speaking guide
- Coffee and tea
- Greenlandic specialities
|• Transportation to/from Ilimanaq
• Overnight stay in Ilimanaq Lodge
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Please note that transportation not is included in the price. If you stay in Ilulissat you have to book a boat-shuttle to and from Ilimanaq. If you would like to have more time in Ilimanaq you can also stay over night in Ilimanaq Lodge.
Terms of service
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the "Terms & Conditions".