Kuannit Hike | Qeqertarsuaq | Disko Bay
Come along on this beautiful hike on Qeqertarsuaq, the Disko Island. Kuannit is the Greenlandic word for the plant "angelica" and this hike goes to an area outside the village where the local people usually go to gather angelica, which either is eathen as snack or used in traditional Greenlandic food. The hike goes through a stunning landscape, where you have great opportunities for spotting whales in the Disko Bay.
Apart from the chances of spotting whales, you will be sure to see how all the beautiful Greenlandic summer flowers colour the path and stand in a beautiful contrast to the basalt landscape.
Geologically the Disko Island is unique and very different from mainland Greenland, as the island is much younger than the rest of the country. A big part of the island consist of tall, steep mountains and in the middle of the island there you find the Lyngmark glacier. In Greenlandic Qeqertarsuaq means "the big island".
Even though the island itself, geologically is younger than the mainland, the village of Qeqertarsuaq is one of the oldest settlements in Greenland, dating back to 1773. Today there are around 1000 inhabitants.
Enjoy the beautiful landscape that you won't find anywhere else in Greenland by selecting your preferred date and clicking Book Now.
- Experienced guide
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Select your preferred departure time at checkout. We will schedule you into the closest departure and advise you of the exact timing
History walk | Qeqertarsuaq | Disko BayFrom 320 DKK
Kuannit Hike | Qeqertarsuaq | Disko BayFrom 450 DKK
Vacation PackagePhotography Tour
Northwest Greenland in Autumn | Icebergs, glaciers and Inuit settlementsFrom
Vacation PackageFully booked
Nuuk, Ilulissat and Disko Island package | West GreenlandFrom